Discuss Intermitent start of salamander pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

linw

Hi, I installed a salamander pump well over a year ago to help boost our hot water. It has worked well although noisier than I would have liked. Recently it has begun starting up all on its own!! It goes on for about 10 seconds and then turns itself off. This is in the bedroom so wakes us during the night. I have tried turning all the mixer taps to cold, checked the old taps are not leaking but still it goes on. I have inspected all the pipes that are easily accessible and can't find any leaks. I have spoken to Salamander and they could only suggest what I have already done. Can anyone help? Is there an easy way to check for leaks without having to rip up all the floor boards? If it is a leak it must be a very small one because I have checked all the ceilings where the hot pipes are. Just remembered I did have to replace the inlet pipe section of the pump because it leaked fairly recently. I have had another look at this, but it seems fine and anyway surely it would have to be the outlet side that would cause the pump to come on. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Isolate the pump (4 isolators on the flexi pipes) and if it still starts on its own the the problem is most likely with the pump.

Just remembered I have tried turning the outlet isolator off and it didn't start on its own. It is a single pump therefore only 2 isolators. This suggests to me that there must be a leak somewhere? Can you suggest any way in which it would be easier to find a leak?

in my opinion its likely to be a tap or shower valve.

turn them all off then put a piece of newspaper under each one. the one thats wet in the morning....roberts your fathers brother

Just remembered I have tried turning the outlet isolator off and it didn't start on its own. It is a single pump therefore only 2 isolators. This suggests to me that there must be a leak somewhere? Can you suggest any way in which it would be easier to find a leak?
pump is faulty

Desrob, why do you say the pump is faulty?
had the same problem with a single ended pump and it was a problem with the pump it's self i cannot give details as it was the pump manufactures who came out to it

Last edited:

It's probably is a leak then - even a very slowly dripping tap or shower could be the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermitent start of salamander pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock