Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Combi Logic+ C24 Losing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello guys!

I had an Ideal Combi Logic+ C24 fitted in August 2021 in my mid terraced house and I started noticing that it was losing pressure during winter 2021.

I had the first engineer sent by Ideal in March 2022 when the pressure was going down very fast, I could see the gauge going down. He said the boiler was OK, he changed some parts (there was also a whistling sound coming from the flue which was solved) and suggested that the boiler was OK and there must be a leak somewhere in the system. The advice was to wait 6 months and I would see some water escape sign. From the next day the pressure was still going down but way slower (did the leak get smaller? strange)

After that I haven't used the heating much until now, and I had to refill every 2 weeks, waiting for the leak to show up, but nothing yet.

Now I've started using the central heating again and the pressure starts going down again, e.g. from 1bar yesterday morning to 0.6bar now (flow and return temperature ~20C).

It should be a lot of water lost, I struggle to see how I still can't see it anywhere in the house?

I read yesterday that it could be that the PRV is faulty and the water goes outside. I checked and there is water going out.
I called Ideal and they say that it is normal that condensation water goes out and that they are not sending another engineer.

The issue is that both the condensation and PRV relief go into the same pipe outside as you can see from the picture, so I cannot tell if the water going out is from condensation or from the PRV.

Any ways to tell if the water comes out from the PRV? Do you guys have any advice to find the leak?

Thanks and have a great day!

Alessandro

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_102255.jpg
    IMG_20221120_102255.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 19
Yes, that’s a combined prv/condensate setup, not sure it’s acceptable though. As for finding out if it’s leaking from the prv, for a homeowner I would suggest not using the boiler all day and then check the pipe outside. You could isolate the flow and return valves and note the pressure, again not using the boiler all day, if the pressure holds it’s not on the boiler side.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying!

So what I can do is fill the system let's say to 1.5bar, shut down the boiler, isolate it and wait one day.

The pressure read on the gauge should stay still. Reopen the flow and return valves, if the pressure gauge goes down there must be a leak somewhere in the system.

Is that right?

Thanks!

I tried the experiment, pressurised to 1.5bar, kept the boiler disconnected from the system for about 12h.

The pressure went down to 1.3bar with the boiler disconnected, I guess because water got colder.

When I reopened the central heating valves nothing changed on the pressure gauge.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what to do next?

I'd like to find a way of checking if some water is coming out of the PRV. I heard one option could be to put some kind of perfume in the system via the tower rail and try to sniff it?:D

Thanks!

See if you can remove the PRV pipe from the plastic pipe, if not cut the plastic pipe to expose the end of the PRV pipe.

Put a plastic bag over the end of the PRV pipe and see if anything is leaking through that pipe.

See if you can remove the PRV pipe from the plastic pipe, if not cut the plastic pipe to expose the end of the PRV pipe.

Put a plastic bag over the end of the PRV pipe and see if anything is leaking through that pipe.
I guess that's the only way to really check it. I'll have to cut the pipe.
After checking, can I put the pipe back using some kind of connector? (I don't know the technical term and I'm a complete beginner).

Thanks!

Reply to Ideal Combi Logic+ C24 Losing pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a steady water drip from the boiler. After clearing up and putting a container beneath the boiler, he went to bed. This morning the water drip had...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
Got up on Wednesday morning no hot water, (only cold water coming out of hot tap). Checked boiler, it had zero pressure and F1 fault showing. So I refilled the pressure using the filling loop, up to about 1bar which is where it usually is, which worked fine, had hot water all day. Same thing...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I did some plumbing many years ago I have never fitted a combi-boiler and am confused by this problem . I removed a radiator on the upper floor of my house to clean and paint the wall behind it, when removing it I shut down the lockshield and packed the...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock