• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Hot and cold pipes the wrong way round. in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Richard Nutbrown

Reaction score
Hi. I have just had a new bathroom installed. However, for some reason the cold taps have hot water coming out and vice versa for both the bath and the shower. My builders say this is simple to rectify by cutting both pipes then re-connecting by flexi pipe to the correct taps. Does this sound like the right thing to do? Thanks for any advice.

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
You hear builders and get a sense of dread. Builders build plumbers plumb. Yes they should be reversed maybe get a plumber to do it

OP
R

Richard Nutbrown

Reaction score
Hi Riley. Thanks, yes I realise I should have used a number but had a short time frame and couldn't get one in time. Is it ok to swap the feed round by doing as I said, cutting the pipes and reconnecting the right way round with flexi pipe?

OP
R

Richard Nutbrown

Reaction score
The hot tap is on the left in the bath but the hot water is coming out of the right hand tap. When the shower control is pushed towards hot it goes cold and vice versa.

scott_d

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
The tape ate probably on flexis anyway
Should be a straight forward swap over unless there is no access

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Ok. So if it’s just bath and shower, swap locally to these items.
Alter the pipes according to what they’re made of. I guess it will be plastic if a builder did it in which case may literally be able to undo bath tap connectors and reconnect them the other way around without actually altering pipes.
If shower is teed of bath pipes it may be possible to cut/cross pipes under the bath somewhere and get both items done in one hit.
Basically it shouldn’t be a big problem.

OP
R

Richard Nutbrown

Reaction score
Great, thanks. It's an old house so the pipes are copper. They're talking about swapping the feed over by cutting the pipes and joining them the right way round so it is sorted in one fell swoop. Thanks so much for your help.

Best

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Before you get the builders to do any more work, get a decent plumber in to inspect all the work and give you an informal report.
That way you might find and sort other faults while you can claim

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Don’t let them just whack in a couple of flexible speedfit hoses, they should solder in with copper fittings so it’s like for like.
The flexies will be fine for now but not last as long, may also lead to some pipe banging etc.

Millsy 82

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Before you get the builders to do any more work, get a decent plumber in to inspect all the work and give you an informal report.
That way you might find and sort other faults while you can claim
Come on it's a simple mistake and I'm sure a lot of plumbers have got pipes mixed up before. I know I have more than once

I know a lad that somehow connected the gas to the hot connection on the boiler he couldn't work out why they had no water coming out the hot taps it was only when his mate opened the rest nipple and had water coming out they realise the problem. The filled the main in the road. We obviously turned up to take the pee as Wales and west were pumping it out with a compressor.

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually happens when you poke the hot/cold through a wall and then go around the other side to connect up - massively overthink the “complex problem “...

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom