Search the forum,

Discuss Hot and cold pipes the wrong way round. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I have just had a new bathroom installed. However, for some reason the cold taps have hot water coming out and vice versa for both the bath and the shower. My builders say this is simple to rectify by cutting both pipes then re-connecting by flexi pipe to the correct taps. Does this sound like the right thing to do? Thanks for any advice.

You hear builders and get a sense of dread. Builders build plumbers plumb. Yes they should be reversed maybe get a plumber to do it

Hi Riley. Thanks, yes I realise I should have used a number but had a short time frame and couldn't get one in time. Is it ok to swap the feed round by doing as I said, cutting the pipes and reconnecting the right way round with flexi pipe?

The hot tap is on the left in the bath but the hot water is coming out of the right hand tap. When the shower control is pushed towards hot it goes cold and vice versa.

The tape ate probably on flexis anyway
Should be a straight forward swap over unless there is no access

Ok. So if it’s just bath and shower, swap locally to these items.
Alter the pipes according to what they’re made of. I guess it will be plastic if a builder did it in which case may literally be able to undo bath tap connectors and reconnect them the other way around without actually altering pipes.
If shower is teed of bath pipes it may be possible to cut/cross pipes under the bath somewhere and get both items done in one hit.
Basically it shouldn’t be a big problem.

Great, thanks. It's an old house so the pipes are copper. They're talking about swapping the feed over by cutting the pipes and joining them the right way round so it is sorted in one fell swoop. Thanks so much for your help.

Before you get the builders to do any more work, get a decent plumber in to inspect all the work and give you an informal report.
That way you might find and sort other faults while you can claim

Don’t let them just whack in a couple of flexible speedfit hoses, they should solder in with copper fittings so it’s like for like.
The flexies will be fine for now but not last as long, may also lead to some pipe banging etc.

Before you get the builders to do any more work, get a decent plumber in to inspect all the work and give you an informal report.
That way you might find and sort other faults while you can claim

Come on it's a simple mistake and I'm sure a lot of plumbers have got pipes mixed up before. I know I have more than once

I know a lad that somehow connected the gas to the hot connection on the boiler he couldn't work out why they had no water coming out the hot taps it was only when his mate opened the rest nipple and had water coming out they realise the problem. The filled the main in the road. We obviously turned up to take the pee as Wales and west were pumping it out with a compressor.

Usually happens when you poke the hot/cold through a wall and then go around the other side to connect up - massively overthink the “complex problem “...
Had one the other day, their sparks had moved a socket into the garage for me to fit a washer as the custard wanted the utility ripped out to use as a store. Sparks said I could move them pipes for you whilst here. Custard said sound do it. I got called back to remove all the speed fit he had used and replace with copper as it was pi****g out with hot and cold pipes reversed.

Come on it's a simple mistake and I'm sure a lot of plumbers have got pipes mixed up before. I know I have more than once

I know a lad that somehow connected the gas to the hot connection on the boiler he couldn't work out why they had no water coming out the hot taps it was only when his mate opened the rest nipple and had water coming out they realise the problem. The filled the main in the road. We obviously turned up to take the pee as Wales and west were pumping it out with a compressor.

I think I can honestly say I never have mixed up the hot and cold pipes anywhere. Been close a few times, but always double checked. Just was the way I was trained.
I have fitted check valves, stopcocks and circulating pumps on wrong way though in the past. :oops:

I managed to do it once, not long out of, my time, both hot and cold were 22mm. Vaillant ended up coming out to boiler, took him a while to figure it out, then got ripped by the other trades and other plumber :oops::oops:

I will admit to mixing up the flow and return on an older heating system with uni-directional TRV's. I didn't feel too proud when I was commissioning the system and most of the TRV's starting making weird noises. I managed to fix it without anyone actually finding out though so all good in the end.

Hi. A plumber for the new build i just bought from previous owner has fitted the tbar shower copper pipes in reverse, with hot water on the right. Pulling away the tile and plaster board the pipes appear to be running from under the floor board with no visible connections. The nhbc has run out on the property now.

Can I swap them by cutting the copper pipes and connecting a plastic flexi pipe to run the hot water in the left and vice versa for cold?

#diygurl

Wouldn’t use flex but plastic pipe and push fit fittings you could

Reply to Hot and cold pipes the wrong way round. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock