Search the forum,

Discuss Hole in Soil Pipe and Uncertain Soil System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

confusingpipes

Hello,

I recently purchased a house. Immediately upon moving in I noticed a foul smell coming from my bathroom. After investigation I discovered the smell, or at least some of it, was coming from the waste end of the bath u-trap. Simple enough to fix. However whilst doing this I also investigated a leaking wc pan connector and in doing so discovered another source of sewer gas; a hole in a soil pipe connected to the toilet. See image;

holeinsoilpipe.jpg

I wasn't sure if this was being used as a very poor vent, meaning that there is an issue with the vent. I've now looked around my house and I'm not sure if I have a soil stack or an air admittance valve. Either way the location of what I've found (see picture) seems odd.[FONT=&quot]

building_soilstack.jpg

As you can see its on the opposite side of the house to my bathroom which seems odd. Due to issues with a leaking wc pan connector, the hole in the pipe and other issues, I want to install a new toilet and soil pipe. However first I want to make sure my ventilation system, be it soil stack or otherwise, is working.

What next steps in investigation could I take?

Many thanks,

[/FONT]

Confusingpipes

I suspect that hole has been drilled to create access for a flexible rod to clear blockages.
Or to allow air out because of a partial blockage downstream.

Does the pipe from the WC drop thought the (kitchen)? below and into the ground ?
Or is it concealed in the extension sloping roof and ends up in the stack which vents through the roof?

Try plugging the hole to see if water is pulled out of the pan when you flush.

Thanks, I've now done this given this given the toilet a solid five or six flushes; water draining out of the pan at normal speed. So seemingly even with the hole covered air is getting in to ensure low pressure doesn't develop.

So even though I haven't gotten to the bottom of my ventilation system it seems its working...

Bandage over hole with 2 or 3 turns of 4" wide gaffer tape, this will stop smells and allow you to assess if absence of hole effects seal in bath / basin etc. If hole not needed, a neat solution would be to temporary disconnect pan connector and slide
a slip coupler along pipe to cover hole.

The previous owner might of had a blockage and it could of been a plumber or the owner that decided to drill it to find out.
Onto the more pressing matter of the skids in the toilet pan... That one no doubt was the cause of the blockage.

Suspect hole in soil is where a previous installation of a wc suite with overflow has had the overflow taken into the soil - seen it too often by diyers with the incorrect tools

Suspect hole in soil is where a previous installation of a wc suite with overflow has had the overflow taken into the soil - seen it too often by diyers with the incorrect tools

That was my thought, too. The hole looks the right size for 20mm overflow. Bet the WC/ cistern has been replaced, probably quite recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hole in Soil Pipe and Uncertain Soil System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock