Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Keep a 40mm to 43mm (1.5" solvent weld pipe size) adaptor in your van for when you are fitting a waste trap from our continental friends! They come 40mm OD and our UK pipe doesn't fit!! I can tell you where to buy them, Sanifix on 0845 450 1940 or 01902 636095

Don't lick your finger before smoothing silicone! It adds bacteria into the silicone and relicking your finger puts silicone in your mouth and it's NOT good for you!!

ALWAYS use the correct cutter and not a hacksaw when cutting JG Speedfit or Hep20 etc. O rings can get damaged otherwise....

I don't sell it, stock it, work for them or have anything to gain but try out Everbuild Styxall, especially the crystal clear one! I use it all the time for applications where you need to seal in a shower screen and test it immediately.

Black marks on glass - lighter fuel and WD40 are useful weapons.

Also WD40 (with kitchen roll) makes many scratches on your car/van disappear and it also clears those annoying tar spots that find their way around the wheel arches and up the doors. (Wash off with car shampoo after using WD40.)

WD40 is good for loads of things. I polish out black marks and improve scratches if not deep using T-Cut and mix in some talcum powder or jeweller's rouge for extra cutting action. Mix just water with them too. You have to rub really really hard and be patient but it can save a costly piece of glass.

Only hand tighten basin mixer flexible hoses. Never allow any twisting of the braiding and be careful not to bend them more than 30 degrees - read the installation instructions to double check. I've known manufacturers of the hose to invalidate the warranty when a hose has failed.

Get a pop-up waste mechanism working smoothly by making sure the horizontal and vertical bars actually touch before fitting the connecting joint. You will probably have to carefully bend the horizontal bar when in place to do this - never bend it near a threaded connection though.

If you are fitting a waste to an acrylic bath and the layer of fibreglass to acrylic is not sealed to draining water (OR overflowing water) then seal it in with a little silicone (there are loads of tiny holes that can allow water to drain into the sandwich layer of some bath shells and materialise as mysterious leaks on the outside of the fibreglass....). Some wastes come with double seals to encapsulate this area for a good reason!

Last edited by a moderator:

When using a flexi bath overflow tube for a combined waste and overflow that is going to be way out of reach, say on a double ended bath and in the centre of the bath at the back wall, for extra security, fix it with a jubilee clip. Never comes off and gives peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME! PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK...
Replies
Views
How has 2022 been so far? How's the economy affecting you? Any tips? This email has been sent to all members of the forum. I thought we could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock