Search the forum,

Discuss Help identify this radiator TRV adaptor in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

First post, and looking for some advice.

I had bought some Hive Radiator Valves (maybe a mistake...), but in principle the idea is excellent - control temperature of individual rooms for specific times without having to keep adjusting the valves - great when working from home.

Hive claim that they work with any RTV. I contacted Hive with the below pictures and was advised the RA adaptor would work. The Radiator Valves have arrived and neither the RA or M30 adaptors are suitable.

Hive can't help unless I follow steps on the app, which doesn't work unless I have the hub connected, which I was waiting to purchase until I was sure the valves work - they don't have a non-app version and customer service is useless :rolleyes:.

There is no screw thread, so is this a Giacomini, Caleffi (it doesn't look like these from Hive's website), or other (are there others)? I can provide measurements if needed.

Thanks
Andy

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1645 2.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

Go back to Hive. Nearly all modern TRVs work on a screw thread, but yours are older.

However, if Hive said they will fit, perhaps they sent you the wrong type?

Go back to Hive. Nearly all modern TRVs work on a screw thread, but yours are older.

However, if Hive said they will fit, perhaps they sent you the wrong type?
Thanks @Ric2013 - I've gone back to Hive and continuously going around in circles. They assured me RA adaptor would work, they included both the RA and the M30 adaptors (tried both). You can get additional adaptor but have to pay for them, when I look online it doesn't look like any of the other adaptors are suitable? That's what I am trying to work out.

Or if none of them are suitable then I guess this would this mean I'd need to get this section changed on all the radiators?
[automerge]1603097221[/automerge]
Looks like old type danfoss
Hi @exedon2 - thanks, yes I believe so, see below. Still stumped at what adaptor I need. Hive are now recommending an M28 which is described as:
"An M28 adaptor is not included in the box. If you require one, please contact support.

To fit an M28 adaptor, slip it over the radiator valve and screw clockwise until securely fastened.

If the M28 adaptor seems to be the right size but will not screw on, you may have an "M28 x1.0" valve body with a narrower screw thread. These bodies are sold by brands such as Orkli, Concerto and Wessex. Hive does not have an adaptor for this valve type. In order to install Hive Radiator Valves you will need to replace your current valve bodies with one of the standard types supported by Hive. A plumber can help with this."

Clearly not an M28 as there is no screw thread...
IMG_1680 2.jpg

Last edited:
I have Honeywell Evohome motorised radiator valves, and they were supplied with adaptors which look relevant to your situation. Before changing any plumbing, it would be worth investigating if these fit - and if so find out if they work with Hive heads, or if not consider the Honeywell option.

PS you can buy them a lot cheaper from people who have them left over!! Eg eBay.
PPS and if you buy the Evohome thermostats, the adaptors come free - you don't pay extra!!

191B630C-E936-45A3-9B18-813287E35B01.jpeg

Last edited:
I have Honeywell Evohome motorised radiator valves, and they were supplied with adaptors which look relevant to your situation. Before changing any plumbing, it would be worth investigating if these fit - and if so find out if they work with Hive heads, or if not consider the Honeywell option.

PS you can buy them a lot cheaper from people who have them left over!! Eg eBay.
PPS and if you buy the Evohome thermostats, the adaptors come free - you don't pay extra!!

View attachment 45833
Now that is starting to look more like the Giacomini type: may be worth a go?

The OP has an old Danfoss valve, and this is Honeywell's adaptor kit for the earlier Danfosses. The big adapter even has the little bumps around the inside to mate with the dimples around the valve skirt I can see. Of course the big question is whether a Hive head would fit onto this thread, and even if it did whether the motorised head would be able to depress the pin enough. There is a "pin extender" in the kit, but looks the wrong internal diameter!
Some enterprising engineering might sort it.

Reply to Help identify this radiator TRV adaptor in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock