Discuss Hanging heavy rad on plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless it is a monster on 12.5 mm plasterboard the way to go

Spit Driva TP12 Panhead Fixings Metal 35mm Pack of 100 | Self Drills | NoLinkingToThis

In general work these are a life saver as "get me a spit" will sort the job - just be aware of the violence on insertion. Impact driver and no apology is the way forward with these brutal chaps.

These:
Hollow Wall Anchors 6-13mm M5 x 43mm Pack of 10 | Hollow Wall | NoLinkingToThis

Set with this:
Setting Tool | Builders Accessories | NoLinkingToThis

There is no better way.

May the force be with you.
P.s. In HD please.
See what I can find.
But hanging rad to hollow of wall is defo a nono
May the forth be with you...

What a lonnng thread. Always thought to bash a hole through the wall and batten up to the anchor rad brackets and be a chippy for extra half a day..or maybe two

Use hollow wall anchors but have never used the setting tool, put through the rad bracket into the wall then screw it until it's tight job done :smile5:

waste of money, just use a pozi drive to make a hole, slip in a hollow wall anchor and pull it up with a setting tool, and they are cheaper.
worst thing you can do with plasterboard is knock a screwdriver through to make the hole you should always drill if you bang through you get a neat hole at the front and a crater behind then your trying to get a fixing on board thats now half the thickness it was suitable sized spade bit with little pressure is favorite

Lads did d guy not say d rad was 35 kg weight with no water. I don't think ye'd b hanging that on plasterboard. Personally I'd b putting rad brackets directly on joists if builder could organise or screwing a bit of 12 mm ply to wall joists and securing rad to that. But I'm open to suggestions

Lads did d guy not say d rad was 35 kg weight with no water. I don't think ye'd b hanging that on plasterboard. Personally I'd b putting rad brackets directly on joists if builder could organise or screwing a bit of 12 mm ply to wall joists and securing rad to that. But I'm open to suggestions

No problem at all. Each of those anchor fixings is good for 20kg so with 4 that's going to be 80kg. Plasterboard is incredibly strong in shear i.e. up and down forces across it's face. Try pulling it apart and you will see :) There is next to no force pulling it out from the wall as 99% of the weight of the rad is acting downwards. If nervous then use 6x anchor fixings for 120kg hold strength.

Joists are obviously a better solution but I wouldn't be worrying about ripping open a wall to hang a 35kg + water rad tbh.

Last edited:
Ive always found decent plasterboard fixings and some 'sticks like ****' does the job. If you really are in doubt cut a hole, insert some batton and screw through into it so that the rad bracket and batton and being pinched up tight through the plasterboard.

My favourite at the moment is to cut an offcut of grant westfield panel, smaller than rad. Screw this into studs, white side out, and then hang rad on that using the short projection side of bracket. Once its on you cant see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hanging heavy rad on plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to hang a radiator (160cm wide, 50cm high, total weight around 35kg) via two brackets to a plasterboard wall. The wall is external, so that...
Replies
Views
I have a Column radiator to fit to a porcelain tiled bathroom wall. The wall is breeze block covered (by solid bed of tile adhesive) with 12mm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Slight hiccup on a job. A tile cracked when I was replacing a like-for-like bathroom towel rad. (Not a usual occurrence for me, as I'm...
Replies
Views
S
Evening all, I have to post this and get it off my chest. Recently I seem to be doing a great deal of unvented hot water cylinders and working in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I am confronted with crumbly wall, the sort that doesnt hold rawl plugs in. Managed to hang all but one rad and made a right mess of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock