Search the forum,

Discuss How do you hang a radiator on a crumbly/lath plaster wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone, I am confronted with crumbly wall, the sort that doesnt hold rawl plugs in. Managed to hang all but one rad and made a right mess of the wall on the last 1. Now can stick my finger in the wall. Its a thick wall, going to the job tomorrow and thinking of trying again by moving the bracket.

Is there a magic plug I can use for these kind of walls? I use brown uno rawlplug + 2" 10screw which in all other scenarious gives an outstanding fixing.

This might get me shot down in flames however ...........
If you can find solid brick then maybe a chemical fixing rawl plug with studding and a nut?

For lath and plaster.
Find the timber studs and put batterns across, then fix the rad brackets to batterns.
Or,
Make a hole in the lath where the brackets will be and slip a piece of 2" x 1" inside to fix to.
Or
Butterfly fixings, maybe 4 per bracket.

For brick.

Dovetail fixing, put screws /plugs in at an angle, 2 one side 2 the other.

Last edited:
Will chemical plug set in a dusty crumbly wall?
Not really getting what dovetail is showhead

You want the toggle fixings that spring out behind the lathe and plaster, 3 or 4 per bracket. Add a bit of adhesive to the brackets as well. Job done.

If wall is that bad Batten is best bet, I tend to use, the expanding fixings that you pull up with a fixing gun drill through lath and use a longer fixing never had any problems

Dreading going back tomorrow and facing that bloody wall. Its not lath its like the plaster you get on it that just falls appart. Its external so must be some kind of crap brick. God knows how they made them in the 1930s

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fischer-fis-v-hybrid-mortar-resin-360ml/88507

I have used something similar to the above and fixed threaded rod into bricks before and then just drilled out the holes on the bracket and secured with nuts. That was to hang a 600x2000 K2 on a crap wall. Not had a call to say its fallen off so assume its still going strong 5 years later

Dreading going back tomorrow and facing that bloody wall. Its not lath its like the plaster you get on it that just falls appart. Its external so must be some kind of crap brick. God knows how they made them in the 1930s

You must have the old lime plaster walls about 15/22 mm thick .

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fischer-fis-v-hybrid-mortar-resin-360ml/88507

I have used something similar to the above and fixed threaded rod into bricks before and then just drilled out the holes on the bracket and secured with nuts. That was to hang a 600x2000 K2 on a crap wall. Not had a call to say its fallen off so assume its still going strong 5 years later
Could I use that my finger sized hole?

Get a piece of ply 12mm thick stick and screw that to the wall first get it painted then you can hang the rad

I had one that partitioned into a cupboard on other side of wall.

Wall was just falling apart.

Multi tooled into the back of the wall and put internal battens in. Cavity foamed the incision, cut it back once dried and skimmed over.

I had one that partitioned into a cupboard on other side of wall.

Wall was just falling apart.

Multi tooled into the back of the wall and put internal battens in. Cavity foamed the incision, cut it back once dried and skimmed over.
And there was the customer thinking its a 60 quid job

This may or may not help but it's worth a mention.

Clear a good sized hole in the plaster ( fist size). Clear out all the loose debris and drill into the brick/stone, to give a good 2"-3" depth. And a good width if you can like a brick joint, or if there's one there, clear it out.

Fill that hole ( pushed in well and filled level with plaster surface). With a mix half Portland and half bonding.

It will set fairly quick and give you an iron like material to drill and plug.

does that make sense ?

Try the mix first to see if it's useful to you. Before you open the wall up more than it is now.

I can kind of picture what your problem is but I obviously haven't seen it.

Last edited:
This may or may not help but it's worth a mention.

Clear a good sized hole in the plaster ( fist size). Clear out all the loose debris and drill into the brick/stone, to give a good 2"-3" depth.

Fill that hole ( pushed in well and filled level with plaster surface). With a mix half Portland and half bonding.

It will set fairly quick and give you an iron like material to drill and plug.
Whats Portland, a rapid set cement?

Whats Portland, a rapid set cement?
No, normal bag of cement

Like brickies use

Cement and bonding ( plaster)

Mix the powders first then add them to water.

Not much water

Last edited:
I keep offcuts of grant westfield shower panels. Cut big enough to cover both brackets and screwed to the studs. Then brackets onto that. Once the rad is hung you can't see the panel.

Bottom hole will take vertical weight of rad. but top hole is the one necessary to prevent rad. pulling away from wall. In a dodgy wall test drill for top hole to the side of intended bracket position to establish thickness of plaster and background. In most masonry situations a 10mm plug fully inserted into the background material,(not the plaster) and a coach screw 6mm of correct length will prove adequate. In any situation if a hole goes wrong plug and fill it before drilling next to it.

Get a piece of ply 12mm thick stick and screw that to the wall first get it painted then you can hang the rad

Was thinking similar , is all of the wall that bad , or just where radiator has dried it out ?

Or you will need alot of spider cobweb to keep from having a pile of dust under rad !

Spring toggles every time if the wall is a bit dodgy unless your hole is now massive

Alright I've done it. Thanks for the help!

Filled my finger sized hole with rapid set cement and bunged a 10mm plug in whilst wet then waited till next day to set..
So next day plug is solid bolted bracket to it.

Wouldn't have this luxury on a same day job though no idea why cement said 20 min set time was still soft after 3 hours. Can you fill with chem plug and put a plastic plug in then normal screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you hang a radiator on a crumbly/lath plaster wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock