Search the forum,

Discuss Green star 25si fast blue light flash and so wet! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain.rick

Gas Engineer
[h=2]
icon1.png
Green star 25si[/h]
Hi all, I'm a new gas engineer and wondered if you can help me with something.
i had a call to go see this boiler and opened it up and it's riddled with condensation inside. The fan isn't working. Fast flashing blue light on front. So I'm thinking all moisture has shorted out fan and maybe others. Maybe combustion chamber seals or maybe crack in flue (inside) checked outer flue and terminal.
do you have any tips or am I on right lines?
over heat stat and flue temp gave me no ohms resistance either?

thanks in advance

rich​

The condense trap was a bit dirty so cleaned anyway and there was no blockage or leak from there. The man said it was installed 7 years ago and it's not been touched since!

You will get a better response in the gsr only section captain rick. Away from non gsr eyes. Maybe one of the mods can move it for you.

The over heat stat flue temp and aps are all inter connected on an orange loom and are simple make and break and will lock the boiler out on over heat. I think your on the right lines split hex or cracked exhaust is plausible. Possible perished washer in the cleaning access slot below the hex. Its one of them faults where it ideally needs to be operational to find the fault. Was it rusty inside? Did it look like a long term thing or as it just happened?

Hi thanks for the reply.
No it looks like a long tern think, inside is almost scaled. Bottom is starting to rust too.
I left it to dry out while i get a fan because that isnt working anyway so figured that might get it going enough to find other problems.
The flue looks like it had water stains running down it that have dried too so i check terminal and roof and it seems all ok?!

Found flue connected at too like this too is this allowed? Not seen it like this before !image.jpg
You can see some old run marks and pooling of water on top

Found flue connected at too like this too is this allowed? Not seen it like this before !View attachment 22592
You can see some old run marks and pooling of water on top

Yea I can see the pics! Ah yes looks like it's a vertical flue have you lifted the flue collar up off of the turret? If not no it shouldn't be like that. Looking at the staining on the top of the boiler I'd now say that it's most likely to be coming from above. possible damaged terminal? inner flue may be parted and a massive ammount of plume in the air side of the flue that's getting sucked into the boiler and then the remainder running down when they boilers bot in use. The first thing you need to do if the fan gets it running is to fga.

i lifted it to see if i could get it to sit better and to see if inner was locked in, but that gap was there and cannot be closed. that collar was around it but very wet. isnt that id (with inner problem too)?
the terminal from the ground looked ok but i would need to get on top to have a better look. the inner part of the flue being parted sounds like a good possibility too, thanks for all the advise.
i will try fan then fga and see what i get from that... thanks wattsie ill report back with what i find

If you can't see anything obvious, pull every flue joint to check
Seems like a flue issue to me, rather than a rainwater leak

Does the fan pulse when you turn the power on to the boiler?

I'd say it's probably poc flue joint.

Hey all,

Went there with hope drying it out for a few days would help but it didnt so i got a new fan (old one didnt work at all even after drying) boiler fired and run perfectly. Fgs readings were spot on too.
Checked all flue and watched for condensation after a while of use and got none. I sealed the gap with aluminium foil tape and locked it all up.
Told the man to watch when it rains to see if any comes down outside of flue but everything seemed strangley fine??
Im wondering if it was a combination of slights leak on roof running down flue and perhaps a condensation problem inside causing steaming ? Condense was full of crap and he never had it serviced since instal 7 years ago

Hey all,

Went there with hope drying it out for a few days would help but it didnt so i got a new fan (old one didnt work at all even after drying) boiler fired and run perfectly. Fgs readings were spot on too.
Checked all flue and watched for condensation after a while of use and got none. I sealed the gap with aluminium foil tape and locked it all up.
Told the man to watch when it rains to see if any comes down outside of flue but everything seemed strangley fine??
Im wondering if it was a combination of slights leak on roof running down flue and perhaps a condensation problem inside causing steaming ? Condense was full of crap and he never had it serviced since instal 7 years ago

Good old Worcester, not touched in 7 years & still operational with Fga results on the mark too ;) gotta wonder why so many on here cry about em

Good old Worcester, not touched in 7 years & still operational with Fga results on the mark too ;) gotta wonder why so many on here cry about em

Tbh it's the only one I price for other than Viessmann unless there landlords

Hey all,

Did you wait for it to fully condense when you did your visuals, would need more than a few mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Green star 25si fast blue light flash and so wet! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock