Discuss Government free boiler schemes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayplumber

Gas Engineer
I am hoping somebody on here has some information on how to get some work from the free boiler schemes not sub contracting but getting registered to do it freom start to finish ie eco & greendeal also anything else or is it not worth it would be good if we could all put the info we have on one thread cheers Ray

Need to be PAS 2030 etc etc

Looking into doing this myself, been mulling over the glow-worm club eco deal, its on their website, might be worth a look.

I too am confused about exactly what i need to do to be fitting boilers on these schemes, and not a little irritated that i have to pay out money to training provider so i can do my job

The process is consumer driven / and or marketing led by who makes the most money - i.e.
1) Mrs Bloggins boiler breaks down - who ya gonna call..
or
2) Got a flyer through the door today [DLMURL="http://www.energycaregroupltd.co.uk/freeboilerreplacement.html"]Energy Care Group Ltd[/DLMURL]
in the later they make money three ways
a) 'profit' on the install - they charge more than they pay the subbies
b) 'profit' on the equipment - they charge more than they buy it for
c) the process, they get paid for the EPC, GDA, and administering it, and another EPC

Being 'qualified' to install a green deal measure means you've been assessed to PAS2030 for that measure
the the process is really quite simple for the consumer (tongue firmly in cheek)

ConsumerJourneyThroughTheGreenDeal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
another nail in the coffin of the small installers all the profit from the jobs goes to someone else who knows how to work the system

Hold on a mo chaps.
If you are prepared to take on the business and financial risk, set up a local/regional/national organisation, including sales, marketing, back office, supply, storage, staff, PR, logistics, phones, internet, government compliance, funding for the business, etc etc (in other words a normal business venture), no one or nothing is stopping you from rolling out this operation in your own right. If you cant or don't want to do all of this, try and get in on the installer side (no you will not earn the lions share of the profit-if any - its a business and as always those at the top earn the most) and earn something on the back of it. But it really is no different from any other business, including yours but maybe on a different scale.
I am speaking of course of genuine on-the-level non rip-off ventures. Those fly by nights and rip off merchants I would never condone and sadly there are some out there.

I was offered the princely sum of £200 per boiler swap ,this based on other people's surveys.Ridiculous price and it is madness to be expected to do a swap in a day without having seen the job.The organiser was pocketing 2 or 3 times this without getting their hands dirty.

Last edited:
The problem is, as the Installer, you are very much piggy in the middle. Your options are:

I) Act as a lowest cost subby to the bigger groups
2) Set up your own process to manage all of the above
3) find the middle ground - and that's where most self employed / small businesses would like to be - to have some control over the process and appear to offer to whole deal.That's where these other schemes are, the problem is most of them aren't really up and running yet.

I know of schemes that are being set up by:
Grafton Group (Plumbase)
Wolseley (PlumbCentre)
Kingfisher (B&Q)
Your GDP (designed for small businesses)

Glow-worm of course is owned by Vaillant, and neither are registered as a Green Deal Provider (GDP) - and the GDP's are the key to access the funding

The 'free boiler' schemes are based on ECO funding:

What is ECO funding?

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a funding stream which was released at the beginning of October 2012. An annual £1.3 billion grant is available to enable landlords, private tenants and housing providers to upgrade their housing stock.

ECO funding is split into three different streams with:

60% going into the Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation (CERO), targeting domestic hard to treat households in particular
15% going into the Carbon Saving Community Obligation (CSCO), targeting the lowest 15% income areas in England, Scotland and Wales
25% going into the Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO), targeting the most vulnerable homes in the private sector

Who's elgible for what - I'll post that up later ...

If anyone else knows schemes that are readily open to any installer led replacement opportunity, post them here please.

Last edited:
Been offered the same deal in Bradford , £ 200 not just for a combi to combi swap which is a joke but any design of old system to swap over to a combi, the same money (and if you are vat registered take it out of the £200). Politely said not interested !!!

Have you been through manningham lately in bradford. Plastered with banners everywhere offering free boilers. It will be cold day in hell before i do a boiler install on eco. Whats the point of being self employed if your making money for someone else by subbing. I would rather go and work for BG or the AA

Been told that one particular co in Bradford has 8000 lined up already, surprise, surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Government free boiler schemes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock