Discuss Gas Valve adjustment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
I know that I should remember all this stuff but at the moment I kinda need a refresher if there's anyone willing to remind me?
I would like to be reminded of how the gas valve adjustments affect the CO & CO2 readings as I think that I might have a dodgy sensor on my fga, despite the fact that it's just come back from a calibration with Kane.

I tried getting the correct CO2 values by adjusting the "A" throttle and the "B" offset adjustments but I still get a very high CO reading even when the CO2 is correct, and Vaillant's manual just gives the CO2 values with no explanation of how to control the CO. The gas rate is within the correct parameters btw.
The boiler is a room sealed fan assisted balanced flue etc etc so it's all going outside and I have warned them that they need to have a CO alarm in the room along with the fact that I will be back to make 'adjustments'.

vaillant%20gas%20valve_zps4zxckeys.png
[/URL][/IMG]

The CO should come down when adjusting the CO2.

If it's still high readings of CO then there's a problem somewhere. If it's a Vaillant, then the flue seals usually fail because they've been pushed out of damaged with assembling the flue. So check the air intake with the combustion cover fitted.

Or it may need a strip down to check condition of burner/heat exchanger - new burner gasket required then as well.

Also, if it's the older ones with the condensate collector at the rear of the heat exchanger, these tend to crack with age, so get a mirror around the back to check that.

Thanks for that. I'll look at all that when I go back but what I really want to know is the relationship between the two parts of the gas valve. I haven't had that much instruction on them and as I've only serviced three boilers, none of which needed adjusting, I haven't had much practice since qualifying.

Good question Robert, I'll watch this thread with interest

have a play with your boiler at home, it is all down to maths really, the sensor detects co2 fm memory and works the rest out. there is a lot out there if you google it, some manuals also explain how it works as well

All you are basically doing is altering the gas to air ratio that enters the combustion chamber to be burnt, A is to alter the ratio for test mode max and B is how to alter test mode minimum. When you say you are getting a high CO reading, what do you call high?? Many boilers allow up to around 200 - 250 ppm in test mode max. There are other factors that can effect CO, but if the boiler is a few years old it may need a good strip down using the manufacturers seals and service kit. Paying particular attention to cleaning out the combustion chamber. P.s also check the condensate trap isn't full of debris!!!!

Thanks for that glentaf, the reading was around the 200 mark, but as you say, it was in test mode - oh, and thanks for the explanation of what does what on the gas valve. I did know that bit but it's always good to have someone remind you

Same gas valve as on glowworm hxi prone for problems .

Have you forced boiler into low and high using and tested and tried to set. Had a few go faulty but boiler screams in low rate

200 ppm is high, usually about 50-100.
as said (post 6) make sure you are in the test mode and use the correct screw for that mode.
only small turns and wait till the analyser cathces up.
the cover off srew B can affect the reading so cheack aswell when it is back on.

after making any adjustmesnts check both high and low settings again.
the difficulty with the high setting can be the boiler getting to hot and shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Valve adjustment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
hi, I am after some advice, I recently fitted a new gas valve to a vaillant ecotec earlier. the boiler was fitted in 2015 and has been serviced...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, just a quick one here and i was wondering if someone could give a little advice on their own experience. I don't usually do a...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I am just about to begin doing more installs of combi boilers, I am gas safe but just never really done a lot of installs due to...
Replies
Views
Unable to adjust co2 readings on a a vaillant ecotec boiler it’s an lpg model I’m currently getting 0.0004 ratio, can’t get a higher co2...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back