Discuss Gas Safe Engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely telling them what it might be will only increase the chances of them messing with it.

I don't think so Mike I have usually found the opposite, many people think things are simple and easy to do, if they do not know about it, especially the DIYer. But if you explain the dangers and why it is dangerous, they seem to think again, not use what you have told them to do it. I think it perhaps underlines to them that the job they proposed to do was not as simple as they thought. And once they know the implications for them legally in doing DIY repairs they tend to think it is not worth the bother.

The guy who has no money to repair the boiler will probably have a go regardless of whether you tell him or not.

I mean how many people speed in a car? The speed limits on roads are set by government guys driving down them and assessing the safest fastest driving speed of them. People still speed though but knowing why it is the fastest speed often helps them be more aware and not to speed.

One can only hope educating people to risk helps. Where as keeping them in the dark increases risk and makes gas fitters look like a secretive group wanting to keep secrets from their customers and possibly increase prices for no good reason. That helps break down the customer gas fitter relationship and it becomes customer lunch and a gas fitter shark. You do not really want that, you want repeat business not antipathy and a feeling they are being ripped off.

Mixed feelings guys. I go to some who have obviously messed with the boiler before I got there but claim thats how it was left by the last chap! Others are well behaved though and are happy to pay for peace of mind.

I'm not even GSR yet. I'm training. But one of the lecturers at my college is rob munton. He's been a gas incident investigator for years. We were shown a couple of slides on a couple of cases he was on. Put it this way, people died because gas registered engineers didn't do their job right. Now if trained people can kill people through negligence, what do you think is gonna happen through DIY ignorance. Just taking the casing off some gas appliances and not putting them back right is enough to kill let alone fiddling with the workings inside.

I'm with the mods. People's safety is paramount.

I'm with the mods. Half the jokers coming on here just want telling how to fix it so that they can do it themselves.

It should be sufficient to say do not touch and get a gsr engineer. If they have questions they can ask the engineer they are paying when he arrives on site.

To be honest I wish it was the same for the oil and solid fuel.

Hey guys I'll be dealing with the aweful power max 155x. Clients says it doesn't fire up for demand of hot water only.....any ideas!????

Cheers fellas.

Flow switch maybe? It has to heat the h/w before it will fire for c/h.
They have two pumps, one on the left for c/h.
I've changed quite a few of the flow switches.
Could just of locked out for low pressure or no gas.

withholding infomation is the best way to controll the population ask hitler or stalin saying youve with held it for there own good is removing peoples choices next we will be burning the books and sending people to gas awareness camps

To avoid accidents inform people so they can recognise the dangers. Don't inform them and they can kill through ignorance. Most of the information on this forum can be gained elsewhere if people decide to look. Not being free with advice is just silly makes gas fitters look like a secret society.

To avoid accidents inform people so they can recognise the dangers. Don't inform them and they can kill through ignorance. Most of the information on this forum can be gainued elsewhere if people decide to look. Not being free with advice is just silly makes gas fitters look like a secret society.

I'm getting fed up with this.

The forum policy is that we do not give technical advice on the installation or repair of gas boilers or the modification or installation of gas pipework to non gsr's.

The simple explanation of don't touch you're not qualified will suffice.

If they then find out the information elsewhere and manage to kill themselves then that's not our problem.

If you're comfortable with giving such advice and at ease with yourself for doing a gsr out of a job then fine. Go do it. You just won't be doing it on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe Engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock