Discuss Gas engineers tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Hi I am just starting my gas experience and want to build up my gas tools, I am looking for,

1. electronic U gauge (got water one but keep loosing water out of it)
2. flue gas analyser
3. Meter key

Any other tools I need

as cheap as poss.

If you dont have can you point me in right direction. Dare I say cheap and good quality (if it exsists)
don't mind paying a lil more if its a lot better but dont want to buy expensive when cheap is just as good.

Cheap - leak detection spray. Invaluable and two and a half quid a tin!!

One will last you ages.

You'll need all the other crap eventually. Labels, pads, tape. That costs a few quid.

Then some meter blanks, to cap off.

My mind is blank tonight, as I am putting off going and doing paper work. Sorry.

Hi I am just starting my gas experience and want to build up my gas tools, I am looking for,

1. electronic U gauge (got water one but keep loosing water out of it)
2. flue gas analyser
3. Meter key

Any other tools I need

as cheap as poss.

If you dont have can you point me in right direction. Dare I say cheap and good quality (if it exsists)
don't mind paying a lil more if its a lot better but dont want to buy expensive when cheap is just as good.

Electronic U gauge is fine but will drive you mad stick with water but always stick hose back on open end. Once hose loses spring replace it as you will be chasing false readings.

True, stick with a normal U guage and buy an analyser with a manometor setting for when required.

Think the Testo one is similar money mate. Not sure, as my two have both been Kanes. The 455 is good, and worth the money if you use it often.

This is a subject in itself though!

Electronic U gauge is fine but will drive you mad stick with water but always stick hose back on open end. Once hose loses spring replace it as you will be chasing false readings.

I do stick hose back on but when I go to use it again the water is gone, think it may be in the hose. How long do you guys have your hose?

its the old cath 22, need one to practise and dont want to buy an expensive one, but dont want to buy twice. so may be worth waiting. guy I work with doesnt use one so I aint getting the experience.

where would I get a reasonably priced Kane 455? what is a reasonable price?

Cut off a short piece of hose to keep of the gauge when you are not using it.

Start pinching meter and ECV blanks from meter boxes to keep in your tool box, keep a stock of compression cap ends and 1/2" and 3/4" female caps for ID'ing appliances. Get yourself a folder to keep AR/ID stickers, warning report book and landlord safety pads.

Always keep a spare hose for your gauge, if you can't trace a leak, swap hoses to check you don't have a leak on one!

Buy a wrist watch with a stopwatch for tightness testing and gas rating.

Lol at the swear filter. That word is Wrist Watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a regin premier u gauge, well worth the money over standard and quicker than electric!

As for FGA, get one that does the works - temp diffs, manometer, gas leak detection etc.

jase buy the regine premier gauge it will last you a lifetime and never loose the fluid never run out of battery

Get a regin premier u gauge, well worth the money over standard and quicker than electric!

As for FGA, get one that does the works - temp diffs, manometer, gas leak detection etc.

The leak detection on tpi is pants compared to a dedicated sniffer, can't comment on other manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas engineers tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to...
Replies
Views
I'm looking at the above, hoping it will be a good all-purpose tool for repairing our 2 megawatt furnaces. I'm a bit unsure if I need any of the...
Replies
Views
Back