Discuss gas courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

A mate of mine is looking to become GS reg, he lives in the dartford, kent area as he doesnt have a computer I said I would drop a little post to see if anyone can recommend a decent college/training outfit?

He doesnt want to pay £173,496.93 for a half hour course though, he wants to go through a more traditional route that doesnt cost the earth. Hes been a plumber for 15yrs but never touched gas.

any suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

A mate of mine is looking to become GS reg, he lives in the dartford, kent area as he doesnt have a computer I said I would drop a little post to see if anyone can recommend a decent college/training outfit?

He doesnt want to pay £173,496.93 for a half hour course though, he wants to go through a more traditional route that doesnt cost the earth. Hes been a plumber for 15yrs but never touched gas.

cheers

You friend shoul dhave a look on Google, I have just looked and there are loads of courses to choose from. I just searched ' gas safe course'

If he is a time served plumber and more importantly can prove it by producing his original certificates then he will be a CATEGORY 2, and can do an 8 week bpec theory course, plus he needs to build up a portfolio of evidence, (the 8 week course can be spread bop re a longer period, and the portfolio will take as long as it takes) he will then be ready to take his ACS exams, not sure of the cost or where near Dartford he can do it, check bpec website.
I've interviewed quite a few plumbers for this course, and a lot of them can't provide their certs, usually cause they simply can't find them, this doesn't mean I don't believe them, but if I don't have the certs I can't put them forward for CAT 2,

He doesnt want to pay £173,496.93 for a half hour course though, he wants to go through a more traditional route that doesnt cost the earth.

cheers

you've put the decimal in the wrong place

I am after some similar advice.

My situation is I have been working as a plumber for 5 years self employed.

Prior to that I did a 2 year apprenticeship. I was at college doing my city and guilds + nvq. I did not complete these courses though as my boss made me redundant as he had a downturn in business. I focused on working / earning money for a time after that and when I looked to go back to finish my qualifications the college I was at had closed down. (the dreaded BTSC Chessington).

I have contacted city and Guilds but they don't have any records.

I am now working regularly with a Gas Safe registered engineer so gaining relevant experience.

What are my options to get qualified? I don't want to repeat NVQ/ City and Guilds again.

Oh yeah that would help. I'd like to be Gas Safe registered. So I guess I need to go straight to ACS exam?

Oh yeah that would help. I'd like to be Gas Safe registered ultimately. As I did not complete my CG and NVQ I assume I can jump straight to ACS and get qualified that way?

Don't listen to Phil he's learning from HA lads. Drinking tea and cheating the PDA that's day!

Read his post again ermy. I think he meant to have said 'cant'. ???

Hey space invaders is well good on those PDAs

Last edited by a moderator:
Jbplumbing. Acs is a exam we take every 5 years, I'm sure you know. But to take the Acs you need to prove you are qualified with the relevant quals, I.e nvq. If you can't prove a qual your back to college I'm afraid to get qualified. Its a long road mate. I'd recommend college as these short courses to me are dangerous. I went college for 3 years with lads who are qualified, took there Acs and still ring me up for basic working/ burner pressure questions. This is the time of year to decide with colleges enrolling now for sept.

"I am after some similar advice.

My situation is I have been working as a plumber for 5 years self employed.

Prior to that I did a 2 year apprenticeship. I was at college doing my city and guilds + nvq. I did not complete these courses though as my boss made me redundant as he had a downturn in business. I focused on working / earning money for a time after that and when I looked to go back to finish my qualifications the college I was at had closed down. (the dreaded BTSC Chessington).

I have contacted city and Guilds but they don't have any records.

I am now working regularly with a Gas Safe registered engineer so gaining relevant experience.

What are my options to get qualified? I don't want to repeat NVQ/ City and Guilds again."

Think you should be able to go ahead and do your NVQ LEVEL 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock