Discuss Fuse 13amp but states 5amp in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also find most oil boilers I go to have 13 amp fuses. That is if they actually have any switches, fused or otherwise.
I blame the electricians on new builds for doing final wiring to them, as well as the heating installers, but on private houses it is often the plumber at fault.
Seems odd that fused spurs are sold with the maximum sized fuse - 13 amp, yet they could be simply for a fused isolator to supply a mere 10watt led light.
I would want a fuse to blow at the earliest time possible when a fault occurs, like a dead short.
Got to remember a fuse is also to prevent the wiring to the appliances from melting and also the small wires and components of appliances from melting or being destroyed by a dead short, plus avoiding the obvious fire or electrocution risks.

Last edited:
only 13 and 3 are now listed in the 17th edition and has been that way since the last amendment. The fuse protects the cable not the appliance thats it feeds

Some are sold with 3A fuses

any sold without ? maybe the way forward then you can use the appropriate rating / size correctly?

The 3A ones are more expensive than the 13A ones .. I just buy packs of the other sizes of fuses as I need them

Anyone want a bag of 13A fuses?:)

ive got the same but im posh got a case for them all :D

Got to remember a fuse is also to prevent the wiring to the appliances from melting and also the small wires and components of appliances from melting or being destroyed by a dead short, plus avoiding the obvious fire or electrocution risks.

Yeah I don't think a lot of people realise if they use an overrated fuse, they are effectively turning the cable into the fuse, which is bad.

I carry 3 and 5 for the oil boilers. Very rare to find correct rated fuse in a spur. Customers boiler blew the 5 amp, he changed it with a 13 amp. Originally the transformer took out the 5 amp, but him adding the 13 amp added the control box onto the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fuse 13amp but states 5amp in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My boiler, which is 3 years old, has stopped working and it turns out it was the fuse. I had an engineer resolve the issue, but when I turned...
Replies
Views
Hi all We have a Vaillant turbomax plus 828e combi which we found powered off a few days ago. Turns out the 2a glass fuse on the PCB had gone...
Replies
Views
Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock