Search the forum,

Discuss Flow rate comparison s or y? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to quote a boiler recently, 18 rad system, and was surprised to see a little 22mm mid pos valve in the airing cupboard. Customer says some rads struggle to heat, its a 28kw system at present.

I am going to quote a 30 cdi sys, would it be beneficial to change to a 28 3 port in airing or changing to a s plan in airing? Would either of these changes increase flow rates? Or am I wasting time?

Does anyone know the max btu through the different sized valves I am basically asking? A 30 cdi kicks out approx 100,000 btu!

ruff & ready- with a system designed with an 11deg C (old) drop 22mm will give you 13kW. With a 20deg C (new) drop 22mm will give you 23kW. So IMHO 28mm is required (22 & 40kw).
Can I suggest treating yourself to a copy of the Domestic Heating Design Guide a very good book full of all this sort of info. Have you done a whole house heatloss to size the new boiler a professional should not be guessing at the size should they?

Last edited:
Balancing the system may help or the system boiler pump may struggle with the amount of rads.. Maybe worth fitting an OV boiler with a bigger external pump.

According to honeywell

22mm 3 port is good for 13kw, 28mm for 23kw

22mm 2 port 23kw and 28mm 36kw

According to honeywell

22mm 3 port is good for 13kw, 28mm for 23kw

22mm 2 port 23kw and 28mm 36kw
Am I right Roger that these valve have a resistance to flow of less than that of an equivalent length of pipe?
They always look like they restrict to me with that big ball in the pipeline but I am sure that is what I was told.

ruff & ready- with a system designed with an 11deg C (old) drop 22mm will give you 13kW. With a 20deg C (new) drop 22mm will give you 23kW. So IMHO 28mm is required (22 & 40kw).
Can I suggest treating yourself to a copy of the Domestic Heating Design Guide a very good book full of all this sort of info. Have you done a whole house heatloss to size the new boiler a professional should not be guessing at the size should they?

Have just ordered a domestic heating design guide! Bit of bedtime reading! I hope it has stuff like this in there or I'm blaming you :p

Am I right Roger that these valve have a resistance to flow of less than that of an equivalent length of pipe?
They always look like they restrict to me with that big ball in the pipeline but I am sure that is what I was told.

I'm not sure what the exact pressure loss characteristics are but the values I mentioned were those provided by honeywell on their training day.

But visually they have to be more of a resistance than a strait length of pipe. Even if the Csa is greater they will reduce flow as the laminar flow breaks down and reforms as it passes through the valves.

Have just ordered a domestic heating design guide! Bit of bedtime reading! I hope it has stuff like this in there or I'm blaming you :p
Where do you think I get all my info from ? It is now used as the base to teach the apprentices on C&G courses so if you don't like your bed time reading & keep falling asleep you most certainly can't blame me, you will just have to go back to school. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flow rate comparison s or y? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock