Discuss First post - Fitting a radiator - How easy is it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gazz_

Hello, first post so forgive me if I have put it in the wrong section of the site.

Basically I have a radiator that needs fitted. All of the radiators in my house are double radiators with the exception of the radiator in the smaller bedroom. This room is significantly colder than the other rooms in the house so I have bought a double radiator which needs fitted. The radiator is the same dimensions, etc so it would just be a straight swap over; I would imagine.

I have sent messages to a number of plumbers offering their services on gumtree/facebook, etc but not a single person has messaged me back with a quote. I can only guess that the job is so small and trivial that nobody wants the hassle of tackling it.

So, I was thinking of giving it a go myself but have never done anything like this before.

Our water system is heated by a coal fire which heats only the up stairs radiators and gives us hot water. There is a switch in the living room which pumps the water round which heats the radiators down the stairs. And there is another switch in the kitchen that we can put on which gives us hot water if the fire is not lit (in summer, etc).

Would it just be a simple case of turning off the water, turning the knobs on the radiators (to stop water flowing into it), removing the old radiator and putting the new one on; and then bleeding the system by opening the valve at the top of the radiator until water starts to flow out of it?

Or is it a little more complex? Do I need to go into the loft and do anything after the new radiator is fitted?

Another thing which I have been told to take into consideration was: adding anti-corrosion stuff into the system. Is this necessary? Will there already be some in the system?

Cheers in advance. Hope someone is able to help me out with this.

Question is really how confident you feel.

Forget gumtree and all the other race to the bottom sites. Get a recommendation from friends, neighbours or colleagues.

Or post your location on here and maybe somebody will be close enough.

I am confident on the fitting side of things; I am handy when it comes to cars/bikes. It was more on the boiler side of things (if the boiler has to be tampered with) after the radiator is fitted.

I grudge paying a premium for things if I can do them myself, that's why I was looking for someone on those websites who might be willing to do it on the cheap.

I am located near Lanark, Scotland.

it may not be as straightforward as you think. most likely you will need to change the rad brackets and then there is the possibility that the pipework will need changing. for starters.

I grudge paying a premium for things if I can do them myself, that's why I was looking for someone on those websites who might be willing to do it on the cheap.

I am located near Lanark, Scotland.

Sorry but that statement gives you your answer as to why nobody is interested in doing the work.

If the new radiator is an EXACT match for the old one, then its:

1. Turn off the radiator valves.
2. Empty the old radiator.
3. Remove valves at radiator side of pipework.
4. Remove old radiator.
5. "Dress" and hang new radiator. Will probably require new brackets (Supplied with radiator).
6. Re-connect and turn on valves.
7. Bleed new radiator

However:

a. The old radiator valves may not shut off the water fully.
b. The new radiator will be deeper than the old (single versus double). May require alterations to pipe work. You might be lucky if old hung on bracket side with large gap to wall.

Either of the above will require the old radiator valves to be removed, which will require a drain down (possibly partial) of the system, pipe freezing or pipe "bunging". If you do need a drain down, there may be problems refilling the system.

Gaz I'm not a plumber but I can understand the responses you have received. A couple of points to remember. A lot of plumbers are self employed. As such they have insurance, vans, tools, etc to pay for let alone their wages. They dont get holiday pay sick pay etc.
So while their hourly rate might seem high considering all you get including all their training they are good value as long as you get a decent one. Plumbers who are using Gumtree Facebook etc may be great plumbers but may just think they know what they are doing because they have watched a few youtube vids etc.
The real value in a plumber is their knowledge to fix things when they don't go as planned. As SteadyOn has alluded to, things can go wrong or not go smoothly and you don't want to be without heat for long this time of year.

So you might get a better response by asking around, friends, neighbours, work colleagues etc and asking them to quote for the job properly.

Good luck with getting the rad replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First post - Fitting a radiator - How easy is it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back