Discuss External frost stat is in action or not doing anything? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes, more or less correct, but a setting of 8.5C equals to your measured temperature of 12.5C so maybe repeat your test and if the same I would set the stat almost fully clockwise to its original setting of "2" which means that the stat will operate when the temperature is 5C?.
Hi John, please see my earlier reply.
almost fully clockwise"2"---it might meant by the installer that "was disconnected"?

No, not at all, it just means that the stat will operate theoretically when the garage temperature falls to 2C that the stat will operate, you can't turn off a stat. but because the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C when the actual measured temperature is 12.5C then a setting of 5C will (probably) mean that the stat will operate at 9C which is too high,so suggest setting it to 2C which means it will operate at a higer temperature of around 5/6C.

To ensure that it's connected correctly you might turn off the HW and CH zones and carry out your test again, it should then fire up the boiler again.

No, not at all, it just means that the stat will operate theoretically when the garage temperature falls to 2C that the stat will operate, you can't turn off a stat. but because the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C when the actual measured temperature is 12.5C then a setting of 5C will (probably) mean that the stat will operate at 9C which is too high,so suggest setting it to 2C which means it will operate at a higer temperature of around 5/6C.

To ensure that it's connected correctly you might turn off the HW and CH zones and carry out your test again, it should then fire up the boiler again.
Thanks for letting me know the stat cannot be turned off! The installer(left the job) told his boss he disconnected the frost stat which now seems a lie to his boss (his boss does not know it is connected or disconnected hence I am asking here)

"the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C"---This is just the position when it clicked today, right? If so, everyday it could be at different position? As everyday temperature can be different? e.g. cold or warm days.

When the click happened, the boiler started to fire, the zone valve for hot water opened, green and blue light were on.
How do I turn off the zone valves for HW and CH?

""the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C"---This is just the position when it clicked today, right? If so, everyday it could be at different position? As everyday temperature can be different? e.g. cold or warm days.
It doesn't matter what the garage temperature is, if you have the stat set to operate at 5C then the garage temperature will have to fall to 5C before the boiler fires up, when the temperature reaches ~ 8/9C, the boiler will stop firing. You deliberately increased the setpoint to test the stat operation only.
"
You should or may have HW and CH selections on your programmer where you can set the times that you want them off and on, something like this one.

Attachments

• Two Channel Programmer.jpg
    Two Channel Programmer.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 6
""the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C"---This is just the position when it clicked today, right? If so, everyday it could be at different position? As everyday temperature can be different? e.g. cold or warm days.
It doesn't matter what the garage temperature is, if you have the stat set to operate at 5C then the garage temperature will have to fall to 5C before the boiler fires up, when the temperature reaches ~ 8/9C, the boiler will stop firing. You deliberately increased the setpoint to test the stat operation only.
"
You should or may have HW and CH selections on your programmer where you can set the times that you want them off and on, something like this one.
On thread #5, photo 3 that is what the original position, you said that was set as 2C, right?

But you said suggest setting it to 2C which means it will operate at a higher temperature of around 5/6C.===why set it at 2C & will operate at a higher temperature of around 5/6C?
Why there's 4C difference?

I have the attached programmer, is this what you meant? I use this to set the timing for HW and CH start and finish time.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Programmer.jpeg
    Programmer.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
There is a difference of 4C because you discovered that yourself when the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C when the actual measured temperature was 12.5C , (12.5-8.5 = 4). All thermostats will have some difference between the setting temperature and the measured temperature, 4C might be a bit on the high side but you can compensate by making the setpoint 4C lower, in this case if you require the stat to operate at 5/6C you set it to 2C (6-4 = 2).

Re programmer, yes, that's it, so if you ensure both CH and HW Off then the boiler should still fire when you test it by increasing the frost stat setting until it clicks on. After testing, return it again to 2C.

There is a difference of 4C because you discovered that yourself when the stat operated at a setting of 8.5C when the actual measured temperature was 12.5C , (12.5-8.5 = 4). All thermostats will have some difference between the setting temperature and the measured temperature, 4C might be a bit on the high side but you can compensate by making the setpoint 4C lower, in this case if you require the stat to operate at 5/6C you set it to 2C (6-4 = 2).

Re programmer, yes, that's it, so if you ensure both CH and HW Off then the boiler should still fire when you test it by increasing the frost stat setting until it clicks on. After testing, return it again to 2C.
Yes, this afternoon I turned the dial anti-clockwise and when heard the click, I stopped, so the photo1 is the position as it was: 8.5C: the boiler started to fire, zone valve for hot water opened, green and blue light were on.
You mean to do this test again to obtain another setting temperature setting C or for what to do another test?
After testing, I turn it back to full clockwise i.e. 2C?

When you said setting frost stat at 2C, i.e. roughly the ambient temperature is 6C----this looks making sense for the case happened on 21st of January which the morning at 8:35am outside temperature was -6°C, and the garage (where my boiler is locates) temperature was 6.6°C, at the time, my boiler started to fire (outside of programmer setting period), zone valve for hot water opened, this lasted nearly 4 hours till 12:15pm.
So all this could be caused by the external frost stat triggered the boiler to start the frost protection function, right?

Don't think you need to repeat the test as the boiler fired up outside the programmed times so OK. The problem with this type of frost stat is that it is measuring a "room" temperature, ie the garage which is only heated by any radiated heat loss from the boiler so takes hours to reach the frost stat cut out temp which can be 4 to 6C higher than its setpoint.
If you were/are quite happy with the boiler itself which monitors the water temperatures and will only fire for the very minimum time required to prevent the water freezing, then all that probably has to be done to disable the external frost stat is to remove one wire in the stat.

You had another thread where it showed the parameters for the internal frost protection which seemed perfect.

I would suggest getting back on to the "boss" and tell him that the external stat is not disconnected.

You said.....
Below is the manual of my boiler regarding Frost Protection:

"If the temperature within the boiler falls below 8°C the pump will run to circulate water and prevent the system freezing. If the temperature within the boiler falls below 5°C the boiler will fire periodically, bringing the boiler temperature up to 12°C to avoid the possibility of the system freezing. This process will be repeated until such time that the boiler temperature does not drop below 5°C."

This is the full explanation of the above.

If the temperature within the appliance falls below 8°C the pump will run to circulate water and prevent the system freezing. – If the temperature does not rise to 9°C within 30 minutes of the pump operating, the appliance will fire up. ▶ If the temperature within the appliance falls below 5°C the appliance will fire immediately, bringing the appliance temperature up to 12°C to avoid the possibility of the appliance freezing. ▶ This process will be repeated until such time that the appliance temperature does not drop below 8°C."

Last edited:
Don't think you need to repeat the test as the boiler fired up outside the programmed times so OK. The problem with this type of frost stat is that it is measuring a "room" temperature, ie the garage which is only heated by any radiated heat loss from the boiler so takes hours to reach the frost stat cut out temp which can be 4 to 6C higher than its setpoint.
If you were/are quite happy with the boiler itself which monitors the water temperatures and will only fire for the very minimum time required to prevent the water freezing, then all that probably has to be done to disable the external frost stat is to remove one wire in the stat.

You had another thread where it showed the parameters for the internal frost protection which seemed perfect.

I would suggest getting back on to the "boss" and tell him that the external stat is not disconnected.
Hi John,
Thank you so much for your input throughout this thread! I got more useful information from you---on this website forum!
I should got all those answers from the gas engineer boss/team as they installed the boiler and all system, but the boss did not know the boiler/built-in frost protection/external frost stat/ zone valves how they work/should work etc. which forced me had to ask online! What a sad thing.....

As you suggested, I may need to get the external frost stat disconnected as it may conflict with the built-in frost protection?
I don't know how other houses do when they install a new boiler system i.e. get rid of the old external frost stat as nowadays new boiler normally has built-in frost protection already?

Reply to External frost stat is in action or not doing anything? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, My boiler was kind of new & installed last year July, I know there's build-in frost protection. Also, there's an old external frost...
Replies
Views
I would like some guidance regarding the Worcester CDi 29 Classic boiler. According to the manual it has a holiday mode and frost protection mode...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: Do frost protection valves trigger when the water in the pipe gets to threshold, or when the air temp drops? Long version...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a newly installed boiler which has built-in frost protection, when the installer installed this boiler, they did not disconnect the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Our heating set time is 7:30am off. This morning at around 8:35am the pump started to run, water motorised valve opened, and boiler...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock