Search the forum,

Discuss Energy monitoring from single apartments in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I am not native english speaker - please kindly have understanding. And also have not deep understanding on gas/heating installation issues.

There is a building consisting of 3 floors and 6 apartments. The building uses natural gas for centralized heating. I need to monitor energy consumption in each of the single apartments.

With regards to electricity I got installed sub-meters and that is not an issue here. However with regards to gas consumption I have a "problem" as there is one single gas meter for the whole building (in the basement). I wonder what would be the best way to monitor gas consumption/heat in each single apartment...I am not sure.
Each apartment has its own heat meters installed and they are read by someone once in a while. But what I need is to be able to monitor energy consumption in near real-time for own purposes - not with the utility involved. The issue on costs is not of interest, only consumption. Thanks for your attention.

Heat meter on the radiator pipework for each flat

Heat meter on the radiator pipework for each flat
Thanks.
However, I am not sure what do you mean by radiator pipework for each flat. Each flat has more than one radiator (one in the bedroom, one in the living room, bathroom, etc.). Do you mean a heat meter for each radiator? or one single heat meter for the whole flat? In the last case, where the heat meter should be installed is not clear to me. Could you please guide me a bit on this?
The flats have already heat meters installed from the utilities service provider, but as mentioned I do not want to do anything with them as I am not interested in calculating costs.

Your heat meter would need to be on the flow pipe work for each flat.
I understand, but actually what we want to measure is gas consumption by each flat...
From the heat meter we will get thermal energy. Do you mean those smart heat readers that provide several parameters to calculate BTUs?

Last edited:
Which you can convert to gas / energy usage

If you do not supply gas to each apartment (it does not have a gas burner for individual apartment heating) then how can you measure it? The method mentioned by others is so inaccurate as to be meaningless.

If you do not supply gas to each apartment (it does not have a gas burner for individual apartment heating) then how can you measure it? The method mentioned by others is so inaccurate as to be meaningless.

This is an area I'm not overly familiar with but I imagine if the know the input to boiler and overall combustion efficiency then you can cross check that with each individual apartment usage. This will in turn give you an idea of the energy used for each apartment. It may not be an exact reading as there will be heat losses through pipes leading to each apartment etc but you will get a pretty accurate reading. This you can then charge for each apartment and their respective readings.

If the individual meters show Kwh then divide that figure by 10.4 (I think) and you will get the consumption in Cubic meters almost but this should be divided by the overall efficiency to get the actual gas consumption but this isn't really an issue from a comparison point of view as every one is receiving it from the same efficiency source.
I think the meters only measure the flow rate/volume on the incoming hot water piping and the kwh is then calculated on a assumed supply temperature so will never be as accurate as a individual boiler/heat source installed in each appartment.

Last edited:
Communal heating (as this is) is shared. Individual heating is well, individual. You have either or. What you can't do is make one form into another. The clue is in the names

Each apartment has its own heat meters installed and they are read by someone once in a while. But what I need is to be able to monitor energy consumption in near real-time for own purposes - not with the utility involved.
Seems like you are looking for a gadget that continually 'reads' the heat meter and then turns this into a digital signal. These are certainly possible (optical pulses, magnetic sensor, optical character recognition) but they seem to be the domain of the DIY electronics / computer geeks hobbyists.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of the heat meter (if they are available they'll know) and/or do some Googling for a homebrew solution.

I'm not sure what the aim of the exercise is. If you read the gas meter daily and pro rata the results according to each appartment's average heat consumption you're going to get a set of data that is probably good enough for any analysis you want to do.

Is this question homework for a college course you are taking? It has an 'academic' feel to me.

Yeah it's possible to measure the heat input to each appartment. You need a data logger that constantly (e.g. once a minute) reads the temperature of flow and return radiator pipes to each appartment and the flow rate in litres. Then you need a computer to turn the raw data into a useful reading in kWh. If councils can do it for district heating schemes, there is no reason you cannot do it for your appartments. (It may be expensive???)
Hometech is right that this won't exactly or accurately calculate the gas use, but it will let you know how much heat people are receiving.

Maybe they use these units (HIU)

Reply to Energy monitoring from single apartments in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock