Discuss E type ideal boiler-bovver in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

k.k

hello people, a pal and i have been doing a refurb on a house, and have been experiencing boiler-Bovver. the boiler is an Ideal standard (balanced flu) E type Rs80 n. Two problems really, Firstly cant adjust the temperature as thermo dont seem to opperate( just switches off/on only). Secondly, Water seems to 'boil up' and back blasts into the header tank in the loft at about 99 degrees!!, At the end of the day do you think id be better off ripping the system out and going afresh with a new set-up?:confused::)

Honestly, you need a new boiler. It sounds like there is more than just simple problems with the existing one. A more finer point, if I did a service on this boiler I would ID (lable it as Immediately Dangerous) it. It should be shut off and not used until it has been looked at by a GSR engineer.

Difficult to say without seeing it mate but it sounds like you have a circulation issue.

Check the CH pump is running ok and I'd also check the condition of the water as it may be full of sludge.

Honestly, you need a new boiler. It sounds like there is more than just simple problems with the existing one. A more finer point, if I did a service on this boiler I would ID (lable it as Immediately Dangerous) it. It should be shut off and not used until it has been looked at by a GSR engineer.
Thanks mate. New might be the way forward:)

Difficult to say without seeing it mate but it sounds like you have a circulation issue.

Check the CH pump is running ok and I'd also check the condition of the water as it may be full of sludge.
Yes, CH Pump is new (from people previous i think) Maybe too powerful a speed set ??. I havnt got involved with the water/sludge yet!:) thanks mate

I would not rush into anything or make any decisions without first getting a GSR engineer out to look first as it may be something simple.

Here aint that much on them to go wrong, and if fixed will probably out last a new boiler. As for the pumping over that another topic.

e type is a very simple boiler if its boiling you either have no circulation due to sludge or pump failure which is very likley if house has been empty take the screw out of the middle of pump and check its free to rotate
or you have a boiler stat gone
the most green boiler is the one you already have and it shouldnt be difficult to get running
saving the thick end of two grand is going to take a long while to recoup with the supposed savings of running a condensing boiler
ive never heard of a boiler being id due to a circulation failure assuming all the safety system are functioning as they should weve heard no mention of gas or flue products escaping so where do you get id from?
i agree it shouldnt be used in its present condition but it doesnt make it dangerous we all boil water every day

Last edited:
Tomorrow i'll drain out old water, maybe reduce speed setting on the pump, then go from there. i think i might need new thermo though, but ill do the water check first. thankyou for the advice:)

E types are bullet proof check the dry pocket stat isn't hanging in the case. If you rads are coming on it;s probably the stat if not then the pump or other circulation issue.
ID my eye.

E types, First there were the Jags then about the time they stopped making them, the E type Boiler came along. Solid reliable, vintage boiler.

Downside is, their full of asbestos, So the only work I would do on it, is safely dispose it.

Thats if the boiler was manufactured prior to 1984.

Last edited:
can not argue with that,asbestos= painful death,life cut short

e type is a very simple boiler if its boiling you either have no circulation due to sludge or pump failure which is very likley if house has been empty take the screw out of the middle of pump and check its free to rotate
or you have a boiler stat gone
the most green boiler is the one you already have and it shouldnt be difficult to get running
saving the thick end of two grand is going to take a long while to recoup with the supposed savings of running a condensing boiler
ive never heard of a boiler being id due to a circulation failure assuming all the safety system are functioning as they should weve heard no mention of gas or flue products escaping so where do you get id from?
i agree it shouldnt be used in its present condition but it doesnt make it dangerous we all boil water every day
Sorry stevetheplumber I don't work on "assumptions" I work based on information given. If someone says that the boiler is not shutting off and the over heat isn't working in my book that is an instant ID. If I walked away from that and someone got hurt I would go to jail. I would rather get called excessive than have to play "where's the soap" in a prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to E type ideal boiler-bovver in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock