Search the forum,

Discuss Doing a bit of private work, I think I'm ready but don't want to rock the boat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys,

As some will know i have been working in the trade now full time since October. I'm really enjoying it but don't feel as though I'm progressing as quickly as I should. I am thinking about getting my own gsr and see if I can get some private work coming in. (yeah, good luck with that I hear you all say lol). I'm not trying to rake the cash in, it's more about getting experience. I still have loads to learn but I am going on jobs by myself daily and not doing too badly, just a bit slow but the jobs get done and done neat enough.

I'm happy in my job, there isn't a lot of pressure except what I put on myself, the money is enough for me but if I could start getting a few boiler break down jobs I think my knowledge would increase a lot quicker if I was in a position where I had to figure things out for myself without so much emphasis on time. My boss said the way he learnt was going to breakdowns and it might take him 6 hours to find the fault but obviously he would only charge an hours labour. Not ideal but at least he was learning.

I work at a maintenance firm who have decorators etc and they all do a bit of private work. I don't want to rock the boat by getting my own gas safe and they think I'm trying to jump ship, experience would be my priority and a few extra £ would be a bonus. the main thing would be any mistakes would be down to me and I would not have the worry of having to phone my boss if I make a mistake.

Just after a bit of advice really if anyone thinks it's a good idea. Oh yeah I am currently working on a self employed basis.

ash, if the other workers do stuff on the side is this with permission of management? if so, i would have a word to get the lay of the land.

I think it's an excellent idea, and unless your boss is a complete ***** he will not object to you getting your own GSR. If you're on self-employed basis there's no job security so it's almost essential as a backup, I'd say. I would be honest with your boss, tell him you've no intention of jumping ship but that you want to gain experience the same as he did, and doing so will make you a more valuable asset to him.

If your going for boiler breakdowns you'd best get on some courses. You need some sort of base knowledge to start with. Why not get your own gsr number, it can't hurt.

ash, if the other workers do stuff on the side is this with permission of management? if so, i would have a word to get the lay of the land.

Yeah the boss seems to know, from the conversations I hear he doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Surely as long as I carry on turning up for work and doing a good job it shouldn't matter. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by asking and it turns out to be a problem but I also don't want to look like i'm being sly either. It's a tough one.

If your going for boiler breakdowns you'd best get on some courses. You need some sort of base knowledge to start with. Why not get your own gsr number, it can't hurt.

Thanks that is a good idea, I was booked in for 3 manufacturer courses back in October but had to cancel as I ended up moving for work.

I'd just stick with your 9 to 5 mate.

When I first started I was just servicing, I was working in the same council estate day in day out for 6 months. Just servicing glowworm ultimates and rob willy firegems.

I didn't think I was learning anything, but I was totally wrong, I was learning loads without even realising.

It was only when the bloke who taught me said "you hardly call me anymore" I realised how much I learnt, it was boring at the time but it stood me in good stead for the future.

Id stick at it mate, I've been doing this 6 years now and I've never changed a secondary heat ex, and wouldn't have a clue where to start if I'm honest, and you changed one today.

So the chances are you know a lot more than you think and are learning far more than you can imagine.

Plus, working for a firm and doing your own bits and bobs is a hard balancing act and you can end up chasing your tail and working late into the night for peanuts if your not careful.

I personally don't do my own work, I just contract, but I know chaps who contract till 5 then do their own stuff and they run themselves into the ground.

Ultimately its your decision and you'll make the right one but I'd have a real think before you start doing your own thing on the side :)

good luck.

I would get my own gsr and start doing a bit, Public liability is a must if you do.

It can't hurt and you will build up a small customer base that one day might be your starting point if you ever went self employed either through choice, redundancy or pushed.

You just don't know what's round the corner and if you already have the above in place you have a head start on others and something to fall back on.

Don't bite off more than you can chew when it comes to private work :)
you wanna further yourself before you start doing anything major. Say to your boss you wanna do manufacturers courses, wiring courses and maybe a fault finding course or two to improve your skill set. Do them and then think about your own stuff, as doing privates after work hours can balls you up big time if a little thing goes wrong.

You gotta minimise that chance when it comes to boiler repairs if you're not available in the daytime when you could get parts.

Im not saying don't do it because it is a great way to learn but just be cautious.
public liability as said is a must!

you're based out of maidstone right?

Don't bite off more than you can chew when it comes to private work :)
you wanna further yourself before you start doing anything major. Say to your boss you wanna do manufacturers courses, wiring courses and maybe a fault finding course or two to improve your skill set. Do them and then think about your own stuff, as doing privates after work hours can balls you up big time if a little thing goes wrong.

You gotta minimise that chance when it comes to boiler repairs if you're not available in the daytime when you could get parts.

Im not saying don't do it because it is a great way to learn but just be cautious.
public liability as said is a must!

you're based out of maidstone right?

Actually in Gillingham now. Excellent points you have made. I think the next step is probably going to be a couple of fault finding courses.

:) if you were at maidstone i would have offered to grab you parts in the daytime at pts tonbridge as i go there atleast a couple of times a week :)

go and do the three days at baxi you can do it at dart5ford so not far away you do have to pay for it now but worth every penny before you go to do it get your self a multi meter and try and get some practice using it try getting resistance of stuff your instaling like pumps fans etc see if anyone your working with can show you

go and do the three days at baxi you can do it at dart5ford so not far away you do have to pay for it now but worth every penny before you go to do it get your self a multi meter and try and get some practice using it try getting resistance of stuff your instaling like pumps fans etc see if anyone your working with can show you

I can second that. Excellent course, worth every penny.

it will cost you £700 plus to start doing your own work. Make sure your gaffa is happy for you to do your own work, competing for business is a sackable offence in the eye of many companies.

From the other side of the table:

If I employed someone to work for me, then that is the only work that i would expect them to do. Obviously little family jobs would be tolerated.
But how do I know: a) you are not taking work away from me, to do yourself later on, and b) you are not skimming off materials tec. for you own work.

The two above instances are the very reason that I do not enploy anyone. Been bitten before, so never again.

ps this is in no way a dig at anyone

If you are employed on a self employed basis it is not up to the bloke that gives you your work as your employer is you and the only reason people take others on on a self employed basis is so they can drop them at anytime with no comebacks. This is what the big companies do all the time. Getting your gas safe would be a good idea as you can go out and start building up your customer base. I wish I did it on my last company as I wouldnt of encroached on their business as I lived off the area that they covered the only problem I had was the amount of hours I worked and I wouldnt of been getting home until midnight after I got home at 7-8 from my day job.

Any boss that thinks their employers do not do jobs on the side are a fool as I dont think I know anybody who doesnt apart from me but thats only due to lack of time if I had a bit more time I would get my own gas safe and oftec and would start building up my own work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Doing a bit of private work, I think I'm ready but don't want to rock the boat. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock