Search the forum,

Discuss Does thin copper pipework prevent radiators from achieving their rated BTU output? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aqua_g

Hi –

There are actually four questions I’m hoping you can help with – shown at the end of the post.

In my living room even with the radiator on full blast pretty much all the time (and scorching to the touch), the room is never what you’d call cosy. It has one radiator at the door (600mm x 1400mm rated at 8500 BTU). But a plumber once told me that the thin (1cm diameter) copper pipework connecting the radiator would probably mean that the radiator may not even produce the full rated output(?).

The online calculators recommended between 11000 and 17000 BTU. Most were around the 13000 mark. So I realise that even with the perfect pipework, I will still need to significantly increase the BTU output in the room to make it habitable over the winter!

The living room is part of a traditional Glasgow tenement flat. The room is on the second floor south/southwest facing and more exposed to the elements than most. It has 13 square metres of plastic-framed double glazing (fitted 15yrs ago), two outside walls and a heated room above and below it. It’s not unduly droughty, but obviously it breathes more than a newer property would. The dimensions are roughly 4m wide by 6m long with 3.7m ceiling.

I want to replace the radiator with the highest output radiator possible. I’d prefer not to extend beyond 1400mm width, but could easily increase height from 600mm to 700mm if that would make a worthwhile difference.

The highest output I could find in these sizes was the Ultraheat Ultimate High Output High BTU range – their 600mm x 1400mm Type 22 DF Double (double panel, double convector) is rated at 11200 BTU, with the 700mm x 1400mm model rated at 12587 BTU (see https://www.ultraheatradiators.com/...heat Radiators Ultimate High Output High BTUs)

I could also rip up floors and add a second radiator to one other wall. However, I’d prefer not to as my sofa backs onto that wall and I’d end up with a new radiator sitting just a couple of inches away from the back of my sofa (there’s nowhere else I could put the sofa). Plus within reason I’m trying to fix the problem with the minimum mess/disruption)

My questions are:

1) Do you know of a brand/range of radiators that gives a higher BTU output than the Ultraheat Ultimate High Output BTU range shown in the link above?

2) Roughly how big a reduction in BTU output does 1cm diameter copper piping cause? Is it likely to be a big reduction or fairly minimal?

3) Is there any advantage to biting the bullet and extending to a wider radiator so that even if the radiator doesn’t achieve its rated output due to the 1cm diameter copper piping, the reduced output is still (hopefully) at least 11000 BTU? (eg. the Ultraheat 700mm x 1800mm is rated at 16184 BTU)

4) Would having a second radiator sitting within a few inches of the back of a sofa be a waste of time – or would this actually be a better way to provide the extra output needed than increasing the current radiator beyond 1400mm width?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Does thin copper pipework prevent radiators from achieving their rated BTU output

for a start 10mm will only supply 1.5kw of heat so if you have a rad bigger than 1.5kw (5120btu)

it wont get warm enough/take ages to heat up

so you will need to up the pipes to 15mm must be off a main 22mm circuit tho

Re: Does thin copper pipework prevent radiators from achieving their rated BTU output

with 10mm its normally the length/ route that causes issues. if in doubt fit a larger sized pipe.

Many thanks for your replies - really appreciate it.

Does seem like new pipework may help - noted that there are a few variables to consider, inc the need to be on manifold 22mm.

The original system was put in by the previous owner. I bought 15yrs ago and did a fairly extensive renovation. However, I was working away from home at that time so I didn't get to see what was under the floors. I did ask the project team to advise of any work they thought I should do whilst the place was a shell with floorboards accessible and asked them to consider maintainability over design where sensible. But over the years I've discovered that they didn't always give me the best advice (eg. they completely boxed my boiler in leaving around 1 inch beneath to access all pipework... :mad2: )

I am hoping at least there is a manifold and 22mm in a reasonably accessible location - time to get my heating engineer out to take things to the next stage!

Cheers!

Depends on layout of system and head from pump. might not need 22mm manifold as 15mm should give about 5kW but could get more if you turn the pump up, but might get more noise. Stelrad Compact K3 will give you about 11-13000BTU depending on length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does thin copper pipework prevent radiators from achieving their rated BTU output? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock