Discuss Connecting a washing machine to a water butt in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kd_draper@Yahoo

Any advice would be appreciated - I've been trying for two days to find someone knowledgable on rainwater harvesting.

Is getting the water pressure right, the only drawback in feeding a washing machine to a 1000 litre water butt?
What kind of pump would work the best?
My washing machine requires 50- 780 kPa.

Is getting the water pressure right, the only drawback in feeding a washing machine to a 1000 litre water butt?

Apart from good filters and being able to change over to a mains water supply, compliant with Water Regs, when the rainwater runs out.

Any monetry saving you make in using rainwater will be lost in running the pump and changing filters.

toilets would be your best option. If you run out of water you will need a refill system with an air break to avoid contamination.

The main reason Im looking to connect the washing machine to the water butt is to avoid the high costs of putting in a supply to the garage at the end of the garden.

I can understand the reservations from a few of you about water running out of the butt, but regular checks wold avoid this happening and I can always top up from the hose pipe if necessary.

Im appealing to those guys who think differently and out of the box ;) How can I make this work? With the right filters and correct pressure, Im sure this is do-able, I just need an plumbing expert to provide some practical advise.

Looking forward to hearing from some positive can do re's.

If you live in a hard water area, a potential benefit would be that rainwater is very soft and should give better washing results (assuming no green colour from algae stains the clothes!).

I live in Bristol, a hard water area, so that make the possibility even more appealing - thanks for a positive yes - I wonder how I could prevent algae?

I wouldn't recommend running a washing machine on grey water...

grey water to me is what comes out of baths and washing machines. Running a wm on harvested rainwater is fine as long as the filter is fitted on the collector pipe, use a black plastic butt only to stop any green algae formation and pump upto a breaktank to give enough fall to pressurise the flow to the wm. Loads of hotels round here do just that very successfully.

The washing machine instructions shouold give the minimum water pressure. You will need to store the water in a raised cistern of sufficient height to achieve the presssure given. 1 bar is approximately 10 metres head (between cistern and appliance inlet)

Running a washing machine with "grey" water is a none starter, yes it can be done provided you get either the pressure correct in the height between the outlet on the water butt and the washing machine intake so unless you are able to raise the water butt by 10 metres I very much doubt it will work.

Then there is the much more important and essential element that you will require, the ability to almost purify the water and turn "grey" water into clean drinkable water.

This is not cheap and the average washing machine running an average 4 member households worth of water uses between 12000 - 15000 litres per year, notwithstanding the shear cost in filtration alone plus the fact you would be required to install either a large height butt in the region of 10 metres to get the head of water or a pump to ensure a 1 bar pressure then the energy put into the system would far exceed any potential savings.

I agree and have done so with 2 of my water butt's, 1 feeds a downstairs toilet via a carbon filtration system and the other 250 litre unit is used to either top up the smaller one if required or water the garden Nd jet wash the car again having a carbon filtration system installed which requires changing in the set up I have every 8 -10 months so very energy efficient and due to swapping onto a water metre the home I live in I now pay around ÂŁ25 per month, now this may not seem like much but when you compare the pre installation of my system and going onto a water metre I was paying back in 2006 a little over ÂŁ1000 per year.

So even with the small costs of maintaining the fters every 8-10 months (homemade by the way, just do some research and you can nip out to your local beesley & fildes or B&Q and obtain the required substrates to make the carbon filters, very easy and apparently can turn a bacteria ridden pint of water into drinkable (although I wouldn't risk trying)!

In summary water butt's can work extremely well if used core try and piped up well, combined with some of the latest solar panels and a bank of leisure batteries you have yourself a set up that can sustain you for a few days of grid.

It's amazing how these things are not mandatory for new builds considering the government's stance on carbon neutral footprints etc. I estimate my whole set up costs no more than ÂŁ150 to install (water side only) and then about ÂŁ20 a year on average rebuking the carbon filters home made of course.

There is also the fact that if you have any WC unit which has an accessible lid if you fill a 1.5 litre bottle of water with salt water it will happily sit on the bottom of your system and for EVERY FLUSH save you 1.5 litres without compromising on performance so add that all up 6 over a year the average 6 litre WC is flushed 10 times per day, that's a saving of 5475 litres per WC!!!

It really is a no brained and as stated with my solar set up with old leisure batteries when I come across one it gets added to the bank and when wired in a particular way with a power inverter then you can run a house for days off grid no problem.

The set up costs of solar are still high but my ÂŁ900 set up is enough to save me a lot and over a 2 year period it's paid for itself and now provides free power!, don't get roped into the government-funded schemes they are all rip offs, source your panels from China and most other electronics plus all the advice you would need to set it up from the likes of Maplin or a similar electronics store.

I have saved literally thousands, give or take ÂŁ7k over 5 years and given the set up costs and equipment it's still ÂŁ5-6k plus

Go carbon neutral and you'll never go back!!

For a small fee I could install the equipment for you, I would charge about ÂŁ120 a day and it's a 2 day job plus the set up costs of ÂŁ6-7k depending on what type of set up you want you could be saving as much as me!

E mail me at :oops: to get a rough cost or for ÂŁ50 I can provide all the instructions for a self fit including materials and where to buy.

I also do bathroom professional 3D CAD designs for a cost of ÂŁ100 which is fully refundable on purchase with participating stores. Some nationwide so in effect it's free.

I have been a kitchen, bathroom and lounge designer for almost 23 years so your in good hands.

Regards

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very common in australia. At least when I was there i saw is in SA.
It wont have to be pottable water either. A simple filter arrangement would suffice where you can clean it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting a washing machine to a water butt in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
A few months ago I wanted to connect a 1000l water butt (fabricated from galv steel) to our washing machine. After trawling many forums and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just moved the washing machine into the garage and it will not drain. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I have installed...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I got the water tested in my flat which has high chlorine levels and I am going to get a under the sink filter chlorine remover...
Replies
Views
K
I bought a new washing machine, it had bad water hammer and started leaking from the inlet valve (plus a couple of other issues) so I exchanged it...
Replies
Views
Katie123
K
Back