Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate Pipe installation in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch.
Is this allowed, is there a regulation that says you must use appropriate fitting, or is it just bad workmanship. I want it fixed, but not sure I have an angle other than poor workmanship.
In each case, a pipe protruding into another pipe is gonna create an obstacle, surly this is not allowed ?
What I can see is there should be a visible external air break for rain water down pipe, so this is one option.
I'd appreciate any feedback, especially if there is a reg.
I've only looked at Condensate regs (HHIC), but maybe there is a water reg I'm missing ?

They are all 32mm insulated.

Thanks,

No regs in regards to connections

But very poor quality workmanship also should be insulated and air gapped if external

If rainwater pipe discharges to a combined (foul and surface water) sewer via a rainwater drainpipe trapped at the foot to prevent the escape of sewer gasses then an airbreak should probably be there to comply with the boiler manufacturer's instructions (if the drainpipe blocks, the boiler would otherwise get flooded by rainwater). Because the boiler is an approved device to whatever standards of the time... only if you install as per the MIs (which will also likely insist on minimum sizes and insulation of external pipework).

If the rainwater pipe goes to a surface water only sewer provided by the water undertaker then probably the water board will probably object to condensate being discharged into it?

If going into the soil stack, then I see your obstruction argument. The connexion probably wouldn't be airtight either and might be considered not to comply with Part H of the building regulations for these reasons. You couldn't usually fit an air break here as you'd allow sewer gasses to escape, so the boiler manufacturer may accept a lack of air break in this situation.

Reply to Condensate Pipe installation in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock