Search the forum,

Discuss Condemn Good Boiler ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gordon Millar

Being new on the road had a strange customer request the other day. To qualify for a hefty grant for a full home insulation and heating pack, (freezing cold old stone built house), from Scottish Power, customer had to have their existing boiler condemned. Explained I would call and carry out a full safety check and inspection. Did this and everything was sound, could not reasonably fault the boiler (Halstead Ace High) despite going over boiler and installation by the book,including FGA check. Gave him inspection report saying everything was sound.

Unfortunately this was not what he wanted to hear, only suggestion I could make to him was to try someone else. Anyone had a similar experience and if so how did you handle it.

Even although I explained to customer an ID or At Risk would see his heating and DWH go off straight away he was quite happy with this as he said work would start within 10 days of the boiler being condemned.

According to customer Scottish Power suggested to him it would simply be a case of calling an Engineer to condemn it, although he seemed surprised I couldn't do it he was ok and said he would try someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I'd put this one in the 'experience' folder...it won't be very often that the customer isn't happy when you've told them that everything's fine & working perfectly.

I've had this twice before. Both by scamming benefit rats and i refused to condemn them too. Got paid eventually.
Let Scottish Power do their own dirty work.

Did he pay you for the job? If it was a cheque I wouldnt be surprised if it bounced. People like that are to be avoided.

I disagree, you just have a customer who is trying to play the game.

I had a similar thing a couple of years ago, I was working for a major insurance company and was sent to a job (boiler breakdown).

On arrival I diagnosed it needed about ÂŁ450 worth of parts.
Customer then said to me is this the list?
He then showed me a same list of parts (spot on) and said he was a GSR engineer himself.

He was not ensured but he had paid ÂŁ180 guaranteed fix one off payment.

He was just playing the game and I thought to myself then, I would do the same if needed.

Taxpayers being milked by parasites and landlords into paying for free heating systems.

How many such homes do you know of where they have had free heating systems and yet they are owner occupiers,often in better homes than you or I and have a nice fat Beeemer parked on the drive or the house is a buy to let? What sort of crazy country is this that takes tax payers money and redistributes it in such an irresponsible manner?

this country has always done this to its population, doesn't matter who is in charge, money always ends up going to money. That's a cheery thought for a Sat morning!
Jeez I felt like the Rev I M Jolly there!..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condemn Good Boiler ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
I need some advice please. My Baxi boiler went recently faulty. A Baxi engineer came and fixed it in 10 minutes, he said that the ignition lead was connected incorrectly. He said that although the boiler was working, it was struggling until it failed. The boiler was serviced 2 months ago by a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock