Discuss Close to despair! Saniflo backing up, tried replacing bits, cleaning pipes etc! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A stout

Really hoping I can get advise as I've had the local saniflo engineer out, I've had plumbers advice, tried contacting saniflo, and still no clue. My saniflo operates shower, wc, and sink. Worked very well for years. Sink and shower still work well and drain normally but recently when flushing the loo, the water backs up slightly into the shower tray. Saniflo guy replaced non return and membrane, didn't fix it. We rodded the pipes, they appeared clean as a whistle and no blockages. Saniflo comes on fine when loo flushed, sometimes the loo doesn't back up, but there's always a bubbling noise from the shower drain when loo flushed (and its just water we are flushing). Before rodding the pipes I left taps on for ages and the saniflo coped just fine. What could it be? I really need this fixed as obviously we cannot use the toilet at the moment. I'm not a plumber and I've spent ages researching. Could it be the pump is on the way out? Please help a lady in distress. Thank you for any advice! P.s. I've tried contacting the engineer again over this last week and he's not getting back to me.

Really hoping I can get advise as I've had the local saniflo engineer out, I've had plumbers advice, tried contacting saniflo, and still no clue. My saniflo operates shower, wc, and sink. Worked very well for years. Sink and shower still work well and drain normally but recently when flushing the loo, the water backs up slightly into the shower tray. Saniflo guy replaced non return and membrane, didn't fix it. We rodded the pipes, they appeared clean as a whistle and no blockages. Saniflo comes on fine when loo flushed, sometimes the loo doesn't back up, but there's always a bubbling noise from the shower drain when loo flushed (and its just water we are flushing). Before rodding the pipes I left taps on for ages and the saniflo coped just fine. What could it be? I really need this fixed as obviously we cannot use the toilet at the moment. I'm not a plumber and I've spent ages researching. Could it be the pump is on the way out? Please help a lady in distress. Thank you for any advice! P.s. I've tried contacting the engineer again over this last week and he's not getting back to me.
There is only one thing it can be because there is only one thing inside the Saniflo which stops water going back up any low level waste pipes that are connected to it, that is the non return flap that you say has been replaced, get them back to sort it out.
Did you find the Saniflo engineer through Saniflo themselves ? if so contact the guy & say that unless he comes back to sort it you will contact them & log a complaint.
If push comes to shove & you can't get them to sort it out you may be able to cut in one of these between the shower & the Saniflo.
1½" Multifit In-Line Non-Return Valve | McAlpine Plumbing Products
Good luck

Last edited:
you could have a blocked soil pipe/drain thats backing up, if replacing the non return valve again fails, think about a drain survey to check'

Hi, do you know which model of Saniflo you have? if its dealing with all three appliances it should be one of the following, a sanipro, saniplus, turboflush, sanisuite, T11, T12, water easy, if there is no big label on the lid then there will be a little silver sticker on one end that can be carefully peeled off. If you can find this info and come back to the forum before 10pm tonight I can sort it before the other two start fighting again.

Hello all! Many thanks for the replys! I won't be able to check the unit for a model sticker until Saturday. It looks most like the plus with 2 bits on the left of the lid, one being the waste out, and one round knobby bit on the right. I'd say its at least 10 years old, could be much older, and it looks a bit different than the newer ones as the knobby things on the lid are more at the front of the lid.. If that makes sense.

The drain pipe was rodded to where it exits the house, probably about 15ft of pipe which i'm pretty sure is clear, and then I can run the shower and fill sink then take plug out at (same time as running shower) with no problems with drainage. Just seems like it cannot cope with the pressure from a flush?

The other thing is I'm wondering whether the exterior drain could be blocked, but then after flushing the loo, the bubbling sound heard from shower drain is almost instant, and then it'll be a couple of seconds later when it'll spill up into shower tray, I'm not sure that the water would hit a block in the exterior pipe that quickly to cause the shower to fill within seconds. Also it sometimes drains after a flush okay (but with bubbling noise still coming from shower drain), and sometimes spills out. Remember it's just water I'm flushing for all these tests!!! Exterior drainpipe is probably about 14ft of pipe away from saniflo.

The other thing is I'm wondering whether the exterior drain could be blocked, but then after flushing the loo, the bubbling sound heard from shower drain is almost instant, and then it'll be a couple of seconds later when it'll spill up into shower tray, I'm not sure that the water would hit a block in the exterior pipe that quickly to cause the shower to fill within seconds. Also it sometimes drains after a flush okay (but with bubbling noise still coming from shower drain), and sometimes spills out. Remember it's just water I'm flushing for all these tests!!! Exterior drainpipe is probably about 14ft of pipe away from saniflo.
Please, take it from me the blocked drain is a complete red herring, I think you have already worked that out for yourself. It is the non-return & it is likely that the pressure switch diaphragm is starting to go stiff or has scale on it, causing the switch to only operate when the water level in the unit gets a bit higher than it use to.
Still what do I know, I only had a few years of clearing & sorting the buggers out.

Oh & thank you to the Mod/s who removed my last post, if you don't won't my input, all you have to do is say & I am gone!!!

Hi, In the saniplus is a proper Inlet control valve & a float which should close and stop the problem that you describe ( a sanipro has a simply hinged rubber flap). Either way the valve / flap is not closing and allowing water to pass. Chris is spot on with what he said and if your sani engineer can`t fix it then he should be shot, do what Chris said and cut the pipe from the shower and fit the McAlpine one way valve (leave it there even if a new pump is fitted at some point). I might add the the pipe from the shower should be 1 1/2" but might be 1 1/4" (40mm or 32mm) so check before you buy it. The head man at Saniflo UK is good and he care`s so either ring 02 08842 0033 or write to Mr J Jarmulowicz (commonly know as John Jar) with your complaint. PS are the initials of your local engineer DT?

Hi All I have the same problem with a customers macerator. I have cleaned pipes installed inline nonreturn trap. Still the problem persists. Rental property so tennant not happy. Any other thoughts

Hi All I have the same problem with a customers macerator. I have cleaned pipes installed inline nonreturn trap. Still the problem persists. Rental property so tennant not happy. Any other thoughts

Evening,
Please register as a member then come back and tell me exactly what the problem(s) are, what is connected to the Saniflo (wc, basin, shower etc) and where they join the pump, if you know which model you have that could also help me help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Close to despair! Saniflo backing up, tried replacing bits, cleaning pipes etc! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock