Search the forum,

Discuss Checka & Rated people in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

W

Welder

Been thinking...

What's wrong with these referral sites?

Reason I'm asking is because it occurs to me that if so many custards are posting jobs, then they must somehow feel unable to get what they need. I interpret 'they need' as someone who they can genuinely 'trust' someone how will not rip em off.

It also occurs to me that as professionals need custards we can trust too. Certainly in my old day to day life, that was a road full of pot holes and ar5e holes which, eventually, I almost learned to navigate. :eek:

What say you?

Local community forum regularly has requests for most trades, generally people are recommending names based on their good experiences or giving names of those to avoid.
Most common negative comments include, they never rang back, never turned up, left marks on carpet and wanted too much money.
The overwhelming thing I have noticed is that the same names crop up with "I can do that for you, send me your details", so there must be a hell of lot of multi trade people around here! :eek:

Thanks. So, i'm trying to distil out what you mean.

Are you saying some 'tradespeople' are desp so go for anything?

Then of course all those comments from custards are kind of encapsulated, for me at least, in one phrase - lack of empathy or not thinking about things from the other person's point of view...

If we started doing that, how do you think custards' perceptions might change?

Ok, what I was saying is that I keep seeing the same names asking for the addresses to come and quote for the work, some building jobs, some electrical, plumbing, hedge cutting, fence building, wallpapering, literally anything including gas work.

Now thats a question...

If you look at it from the customers point of view, would they know and would they care?

ALL they want is a good job doing at a fair price.

Its only when you stand back do you see what you see. Its only when it goes wrong that people look up to see the whole picture

I am on checkntrade, personally I don't like it but I get quite a bit from it.
I find customers feel that they just don't know who to call as as they say YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO GET. It gives them more comfort that they are pre vetted.

Years ago you'd get all sorts through the door ,I use to work with a lad who would always have a liquid lunch down the boozer, would come back after lunch half cut. Lads that would chain smoke in a customers house , helping themselves to food in custard cupboards.

Mad how they use to behave you just can't get away with that now. That is why I think customers use these sites

Thanks Ham. A real insight.

Firstly, can you explain what it is that you don't like? Why? Perhaps an example?

Secondly, custs dont know who to call? Why is that? I understood there's some form of rating system! Is that not the case? Or doesn't it work?

So many questions... Sorry! :)

Trying to 'interpret' your last sentence. Could this be that custs now feel more 'confident' about traders through a site like this? Or is it that people just don't behave like that now, or is it that they wouldn't get away with that now - but would still do it if they could?

Its a bit like trip advisor , why do we use that ?
Simply because we can get an idea of other peoples experiences of that particular type of service.

What i dont like about it is that when you are working in peoples homes you always have that possibility of a bad review against you. I dont care who you are at some point you have had a accident with black sludge or black handprint etc etc.This can be counted against you.

Some people just like moaning and these sites give them a voice an opinion for people who would normally be nothing more than national insurance number.

Once you get a bad review its pretty much game over

Thank you.

If I'm being honest, it actually sounds like its more trouble than its worth. To not be able to trust that the people posting jobs are 'normal' (whatever that is) and just MISOGS sounds not only like there's a basic lack of trust in the customers who are on it, but actually its even worse in that it attracts the moaners, professional complainers and never want to payers. Why then do you go back for more kickings?

Or have i got it wrong?

I was in check a trade and rated people don't really rate either. Rated people seemed to be all cheap skates and check a trade was great until area became flooded with many more competitors after about 2 years of membership, but it was pretty good for 2 years. Got a few loyal customers from it too. Defo better experience from check a trade.

Reply to Checka & Rated people in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock