Discuss Central Heating Zones - New & Replacement Systems in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodders

According to the Domestic Building Compliance Guide (2010 with 2011 amendments) page 22 it states:

"Dwellings with a total usable floor area up to 150m2 should be divided into at least two space heating zones with independant temperture control, one of which is assigned to the living area."

How are you guys installing these systems? For a combi do you need a one or two channel programmer (it says temp control not time control?). I take it you need two flows from the boiler (will a three port valve do or do you need 2 x 2 port vavles?) and do you need 2 returns (to stop reverse cirulation?) Do you fit check valves to stop reverse cirulation too? Does this cause problems draining down? What about the extra cost to the customer?

As an apprentice, I worked for a big company and we never fitted systems like this but now I'm working for myself I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Cheers

Hi rodders :) 2 zones on and 's'plan 3+ on an 's'plan+ i think you call it :) Individual temp control can be room stats although the whole of the heating still needs to be timed! Regards the return it's best to common the circuits before joining together I'd say :)

That's my opinion though and there are plenty more avid installers with more experience who could better advise from experience :)

Cheers for the reply, lets say its a combi system, how do you split the 2 zones for the heating (upstairs and downstairs obviously) but how do you do it? 2 port valves? One on the upstairs flow and one on the downstairs? Where would you site these valves? Under the boiler? I've never seen this out on site and as an apprentice I never fitted combi heating systems this way.

Lets say you got a combi, do you need 2 room stats (one upstairs and one downstairs if so where upstairs would you situate the room stat?) and a 1 channel programmer? Get sparky to wire it in?

Sorry for all the questions but I am struggling to visualise this system any one got some photos they dont mind sharing?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn it on it's head rodders, how would you pipe it and design it! I use to get out a pen and paper, in fact have done for my own home that's currently under refirb. Got 3 zones and hot water (4)!

Cheers did you use 2 port valves for the different flows? If so, were they postioned under the boiler ?

Think simply Rodders. Where is the logical place to split the flows, an airing cupboard? Under the stairs? Possibly at the boiler? Where you split them is where you'd put your zone valves.

Cheers did you use 2 port valves for the different flows? If so, were they postioned under the boiler ?

Actually putting 28mm 2 port on 22 pipe Just to guarantee enough flow through :) For my own they're going in the garage, along with the boiler and UV cylinder :). Ease of access when they need repaired/replaced. Note I said when because they will as some time in the future! Place your valves wherever is the best place just make sure they're serviceable! Regards your returns the circuits do need to be commoned before branching back in! You can't just run one return willy nilly :)

Cheers for this,

for a combi just need a one channel programmer then?

(sorry for all questions lol)

I ask because it says

"into at least two space heating zones with independant temperture control"

and more than 150m2 it says time and temp control. So one channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating Zones - New & Replacement Systems in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock