Search the forum,

Discuss Cast Iron Rads - Fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattpaints

Hi all,

We'd like to take the plunge and replace our old rads with some 'reclaimed' ones from what used to be Coventry Demolition. However, I'm a bit unsure about how these chunky rads would fit with our existing pipework and I thought I'd ask here before deciding whether to place an order.

I've been told by the supplier to allow 72mm plus skirting depth to find the middle of the bush ends which basically comes to about 120mm from the wall, due to the lip on the bottom of our skirting boards. I don't want to redo the pipework coming out of the floorboards, so I'm wondering whether there is some straightforward pipework that can be done to get our current pipes (which sit very close to the wall) to fit with the new rads.

I was told to allow 45mm at each end when calculating the size of radiator that I order, but I was also wondering if allowing a bit of extra space between the existing pipes and the bush ends (ie, getting a shorter radiator length) might make the job a bit easier?

I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me on this.

Many thanks
Matt

IMG_20161102_203227.jpgIMG_20161102_203322.jpg

Seem to recall problems from other threads re leaks and trv valves fitting the rads etc from people doing this.

I'm wondering whether there is some straightforward pipework that can be done to get our current pipes (which sit very close to the wall) to fit with the new rads.

Shorter rads wouldn't really make a huge difference - if there is the space vertically, the rad tails could be cut very close to the floor and neat offsets put in, which can look quite elegant. Not perfect but the best of a bad job. Or you could box the pipework in under the rad.

Thanks both.

Masood - I have two questions! What do you mean by 'tails'? And, by offsets, do you mean slots cut into the foot of the skirting board?

Cheers
Matt

the tails are the pipes coming out of the floor going to the radiator. offsets are bends in pipework to bring the tails to where they need to be for the new radiators

I'm glad I asked! Can't see the image on my laptop, but I can picture what you mean. That sounds like a good solution. I'll have a think.

Thanks
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast Iron Rads - Fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock