Search the forum,

Discuss Carbon Monoxide Flue Cap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi,

My family recently moved into a new rented property just after Christmas. On Sunday our boiler started acting weirdly by not heating up properly then heating the radiators much hotter than we set it to. Long story short we spoke to our letting agent who called out someone to look at it for us. He has just been round & said that there wasn't a flue cap on the boiler which stops carbon monoxide from coming into the house. This has freaked me out some what obviously as in this case we have been breathing this in for the past 3 weeks.

Can somebody please clarify if this is correct. We have a Remeha Avanta 28c boiler. Where do I stand if this is all correct & we have been breathing these fumes in? Can I sue my letting agent for this?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible.

Thanks

Lee

It stops flue gasses entering the room, carbon monoxide is part of this.

I'm not sure what your expecting but the radiator problems are probably not related to this issue. Maybe it was tampered with or left off by mistake from the last engineer it's difficult to say.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to know above all else that health wise we haven't come to any harm due to fumes coming into the house?

The very best thing you can do is turn the boiler off until you get it checked by a gsr.

CO levels vary from boiler to boiler. If your boiler has been well maintained prior to occupancy then the risks are vastly been reduced.

Have any of you actually been to hospital and had your blood gas levels checked? These things happen, unfortunately. You'll get nowhere with a legal action I would imagine.

Do as the cropster says. Get yourselves checked out for peace of mind. Do you have a gas safety cert/cp12 ??

Hi,

My family recently moved into a new rented property just after Christmas. On Sunday our boiler started acting weirdly by not heating up properly then heating the radiators much hotter than we set it to. Long story short we spoke to our letting agent who called out someone to look at it for us. He has just been round & said that there wasn't a flue cap on the boiler which stops carbon monoxide from coming into the house. This has freaked me out some what obviously as in this case we have been breathing this in for the past 3 weeks.

Can somebody please clarify if this is correct. We have a Remeha Avanta 28c boiler. Where do I stand if this is all correct & we have been breathing these fumes in? Can I sue my letting agent for this?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible.

Thanks

Lee

Sounds like dodgy thermostat on the boiler. Nothing to do with flue caps!

Buy yourself a carbon monoxide alarm for peace of mind. They are £15ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Carbon Monoxide Flue Cap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
Hello my dad had a boiler check up today and the cap on the flue above the boiler had fell off. It's potentially been like that for a long time. Was this dangerous? We have a carbon monoxide detector but that never went off. I have posted a picture below of the little cap, the engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi guys and girls. So…. Bought an apartment in a conversion rather than new build. Since buying it I’ve been experiencing headaches, sickness and dizziness. At the time I just thought I was coming down with something but then a TV engineer came to install an aerial in the loft and he showed me...
Replies
Views
Does a window need to be atleast 30cm away from the base of the boiler flu (the part that comes out of the wall/opening) or the end of the flue where the fumes actually come out. Our window opening is less than 30cm from the hole where the flue comes out, but the end of the flue is more than...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first time on the forum. Three months ago we had a 1000 lt fill. We then noticed a strong oil smell when the boiler was firing up. There was no sign of an oil spill. Contacted our engineer to have the boiler serviced, still the strong oil smell was there. Recommended having new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock