Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Cannon Coalridge BF Mk2 gas fire poor starting advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allgoode

Gas Engineer
Just a quick question re this fire I was called out to have a look at.

The customer has the original installation and servicing instructions as well as the customer operating instructions which you cannot seem to find anywhere online and also BFG Europe don't support this fire.

Basically if not used for a period of time it is reluctant to light and needs quite a few attempts before it lights.

Each time you turn the push in the control knob and turn through the ignition position the spark is visible through the glass so that's allgood.

Once the pilot light has lit and you have held the control knob in for the required time the pilot light stays lit and the fire functions correctly through the range of settings so the gas valve is functioning correctly by holding open and allowing gas to pass.

The customer has mentioned that the pilot light seems smaller than it usually has been in the past.?

Bar that it mainly is the initial lighting of the fire that is causing issues and any advice would be appreciated as I have asked about the pricing of a new ctrl tap assy and that is just under £100 plus the cost of me fitting and checking operation post job.

I had thought of stripping down the ctrl tap assy and cleaning/greasing if possible but will also remove the supply pipe to the pilot light and blow through in case of any blockages or restrictions at the same time.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great,

Many thanks,

Andy (Allgoode)

Thanks,
Not yet, I had just called around to the customer to make sure it was safe in between jobs.
It will be getting booked in over next couple of days though & I will do that as first port of call after usual pre strip checks I do.
Andy

Thanks,
Not yet, I had just called around to the customer to make sure it was safe in between jobs.
It will be getting booked in over next couple of days though & I will do that as first port of call after usual pre strip checks I do.
Andy

Remeber the pilot injector is ceramoc and EASY to crack. IIRC the pilot is not available.
Also, you may know, there was a problem with these. There was a recall to change the ignitor/tap assy. I don't actually recall doing one, but I think it was a problem with the seperate igniter, causing a bang on lighting, and breaking glass. So ypurs may not be an ossue. I am sure someone else will elucidate.

Don't these have a similar "top hat" pilot socket to an Apollo? Should be able to clean with a spanking new tenner if I remember correctly!

Carefully remove pilot injector with teeny spanner, let it sit in a mug of warm water for a while then blow it through,dont poke it. Re-assemble...clean ignition electrode and burner cap. Ensure there are no soot/carbon deposits which may short out the ignition. Grease the tap cam where it engages with the igniter unit as it turns. Check control tap for smooth operation,grease as necessary

As above, but I use to have a small box spanner specifically for pilots. Can't recall the size, but a nut runner is easier/safer than a spanner.

Also my previous comments WERE relayed to the model with a seperate piezo, as per a TB

Last edited:
Hi again,
Just to update you all,
Fire problem sorted a couple of weeks ago when i spent about 2.5 hrs stripped it right out to almost component level. Couldn't believe the amount of crap & dust that had accumulated in there but know the neighbour had major building works going on for a few months so poss that contributed to it.
All injectors cleaned again, ( I had serviced it at the start of the year and it was fine but was not used for almost 6months).
The spiders and other little creatures had made themselves right at home in there.
There was a small amount of soot on pilot injector which I cleaned off with soft brush and checked/blew the holes as well, the other injectors were cleaned as well.
Cleaned out and sieved the gravel bed also and finally had all the pipes off and blown through to be sure they were clear of restriction.
I split the control tap assembly but it was immaculate and lightly greased as reqd so didn't go further with it as I wanted to see how it ran after the various bits I had cleaned and to check if the fault still existed.
Also replaced the control knob as well from Gas Appliance Spares as other one was well worn.
Result fire works first time and runs great through all the settings.
The customer was well happy as they thought that they were on route to forking out big bucks on another gas fire.
Cheers to you guys for your advice, it's always appreciated,
Andy,
Allgoode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cannon Coalridge BF Mk2 gas fire poor starting advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My customer has a gas fire with an external gas pipe (runs across the front of the fire - see pic). He'd like a new gas fire. No chance...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
Evening Changed a guys boiler yesterday. All went ok. Today he has called and says his gas fire which is a verine dtx500 is making a loud...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock