Currently reading:
Can you adapt a toilet to be a push buttin flush ?

Discuss Can you adapt a toilet to be a push buttin flush ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marsaday

i want to change the syphon on my toilet. At the same time i want to do away with the overflow.

Do i need to buy a new toilet or can i change these parts ? The toilet has a handle flush.

If i need to change it i have a suite which is champagne coloured. Can i get a £50 toilet in the same colour ?

yes you can convert although the handle hole may be too small to have the button in and you will have to have it standing proud

just change the syphon for one with an internal overflow, keeping the flush handle

Right ok. So where does this button sit then ? Can you drill a hole in the top of the cistern lid to allow the cable to come through ?

Any pics on the net showing how this is done ?

Ok, so i can get an internal overflow syphon with handle ? Great. Will they sell them at screwfix or tool station or do i need to go to the merchants ? any idea on cost.

Ok, so i can get an internal overflow syphon with handle ? YES Great. Will they sell them at screwfix YESor tool station YES or do i need to go to the merchants ?YES any idea on cost YES

Ok, so if i remove the overflow outlet, what do i use to bung up this hole. I know what it looks like, but i dont know its name. Can i get these at screwfix ?

You can only get white sanitary ware now, though I know a company that sells reconditioned coloured suites.

Changing to a push button is ok, but the button assembly will sit proud of the cistern where the toilet handle was. Buy a Fluidmaster kit from Screwfix and it should easily adapt. Don't try to drill a hole in the cistern lid without a special drill bit. One of the forum's sponsors 365 drills sell them.

Fluidmaster Button Cable Dual Flush & Bottom Inlet | NoLinkingToThis

don't know if that one has internal overflow. you could get a flap type of flush valve like this
49303.jpg

Don't know Steve, when that flapper opens and closes it reminds me of the missus yapping away.

Agreed, I don't think the toolstaion syphon you linked has an integral overflow. The flapper above is the best bet unless you really want a dual flush.
If you absolutely need a dual flush go for the fluidmaster posted above and have the button coming out of the handle hole, although as previously stated it may have to be proud of the cistern face.

ok what about this one. I think this has the internal overflow

Opella Dual Flush Siphon | NoLinkingToThis

ok what about this one. I think this has the internal overflow

Opella Dual Flush Siphon | NoLinkingToThis
That's tat, and fails a lot. Don't fluff about, get the Fluidmaster kit and fill valve for fifteen quid and give your cistern a full makeover and it will stay in service for years. Buy a new close couple connecting bracket and washer too.

Last edited by a moderator:
siamp do a optima50 cable operated which works well but as steve says depending on the flush handle hole size it will sit proud

I tend to use the Turbo 88 syphons, Dual flush, integ O/F easey to repair .

....doing one tomorrow on an old 1980's cistern. I'm installing either a Siamp or a Fluidmaster depending on what one is the most suitable for this job.

just take out the old syphon and flush handle, fit a new fluidmaster with universal push button where handle used to be. Job done, easy peasy japaneasy.You will more than likely need new doughnut though as old ones very rarely re seat.
Bob

just take out the old syphon and flush handle, fit a new fluidmaster with universal push button where handle used to be. Job done, easy peasy japaneasy.You will more than likely need new doughnut though as old ones very rarely re seat.
Bob
Not just a new donut washer but the close coupling bracket and bolts too should be renewed as the old ones will be rusty.

The cistern I'm adapting tomorrow is massive and very deep, so a Fluidmaster might not fit, while a Siamp can be adjusted much higher. The Siamp gives a far better flush than a Fluidmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you adapt a toilet to be a push buttin flush ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock