Discuss British Gas Assessment day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Assessment day was an afternoon from 13:15 to around 17:00.

First off a face to face competency based interview with a HR person, and the regional manager for my area. Google competency based interviews and you'll see the type of questions they ask about teamwork, criticism, leadership etc. So for instance tell me about a time you worked in a team. If you have had the telephone interview with BG it is much the same.

The one reason I can think I didn't make it was because I waffled on a bit and went off on a tangent at certain questions, but overall a little disappointed as I thought I did quite well, and got good feedback from the HR lady with nodding heads, smiling etc. She looked genuinely interested in what I was saying - either that or the two small tattoo's on the edge of either palm? half inch names on both of my hands?? Who knows - they said that it was down to me not being direct enough about my answers in the interview, and to be honest I should have stuck to the STAR method.

Anyway... On to a Mechanical reasoning test. 40 questions, multiple choice in 20 mins.
Very easy if you are mechanically minded. Cog A turns this way, which way does cog B turn... If you are unsure google some practice questions, as the practice tests that are online make the test on the day very easy in comparison!

Lastly, a teamworking exercise. You are given tasks to perform as a group to hit a certain number of points. I cant really say more than this, but it is quite simple, just make sure you listen and pay attention. Don't talk over others, but still contribute to the team.

As said I am disappointed, but hey ho - thats life!

On the upside, I start at Moulton College Silverstone site next tuesday evening on a Plumbing and heating level 1 course.

It's only a part time one evening a week course, but by April time I will have a level 1 certificate. A year on from that I will have level 2, so even if no NVQ - I still have something. NVQ needs practical experience with a qualified plumbing business, so can work on sweet talking some of my mates in the trade too.

Thanks for your help guys, and looks like I will be sticking around

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do British gas do assessment centres in recruitment agency offices?

Last edited:
Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

I applied in March, had my telephone interview in April and have been waiting since. The lady in the interview told me I was successful but I am not guaranteed a place, fair enough. They emailed me two weeks ago letting me know they are still considering me. Such a long and drawn out process.

I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Assessment day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
S
Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time. I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic...
Replies
Views
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but my family and I are starting to crack. I'll start at the beginning, and maybe someone will see...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock