Search the forum,

Discuss Can I stop my boiler from coming on randomly several times a day? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Steve Handly

Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time.

I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic Regular Gas Boiler (Gravity Fed System) new boiler and it was installed by a British Gas engineer recently, as I wanted a Gas Safe certificate with this install and received one.

Looking at the install paperwork, I can see a number of install checks were carried out and he left all this information on this with me and on the Worcester install paperwork.

My old boiler (An old Worcester 40 CDI - like for like replacement) would only come on (Gas) upon request. My new replacement Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic seems to come on several times a day. Is this normal? I assume it comes on when the temperature of the water falls below a certain degree?

Ideally, I assume that I would only want the boiler to fire up when required (Like the old one), regardless of what temperature the water is. I feel it's coming on when the temperature falls below a certain degree. When it randomly fires up the hot water and radiator values are not open, I assume it is using some type of internal bypass value (I think the new ones have this and I therefore removed my old by pass valve, as I always had air lock problem in this area and all seems fine) rerouting the water (loopback) so that overheating does not occur and to stop the boiler from getting too hot and then burning out / causing problems (?) .

My question is - Is there an option somewhere on the boiler menu perhaps that I can change this option (Don't fire up until called upon), or is this standard procedure of these new boilers (Fire up several times a day when the water is at a certain temperature)? The boiler serves hot water (gravity fed cylinder tank) and radiators, but as it's summer, it's only used for hot water at the moment and we switch this on for around 30 minutes of the day. I noticed it coming on when I was near the boiler and heard it firing up, so monitored it and then noticed it does this several times throughout the day (A mobile phone / gas usage app shows me it's using less than 1p each time it fire up for a short while). Radiator settings and hot water (cylinder stat) are set to 60 and it starts up (Unknown low temperature), then goes to above 70 or 80 and then power down, as though it's saying to me - " Water is not hot enough - Firing up - Ooops overheating - Now shutting down". If this is usual, that's fine. Researching, I have read online that it is normal for boilers to fire up several times a day and I am wondering if it is simply doing this. Ideally, I only want it to fire up upon request.

Thanks for reading and any constructive comments would be gratefully received. Thanks for your time.

Any chance of a picture of the data sticker should be bottom left on the front panel (sometimes hidden by the flip down panel )

Any chance of a picture of the data sticker should be bottom left on the front panel (sometimes hidden by the flip down panel )

Thanks for getting back to me. I just spotted an error. My apologies - My old one was the 40CDi. The new one is a Greenstar 8000 Life (GR8300iW 40 R). It does not have a flip down (The old one did). It simply has a (Round) digital display. I am guessing there must be an option that can be changed via the digital display.

Can you try turning eco mode on via the eco button

Reply to Can I stop my boiler from coming on randomly several times a day? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
When I set it to be on via phone, light A comes on (telling it to be on), but light B won’t come on, so the boiler doesn’t start. I either need to set A on and off several times via phone, or turn it off and on again via switch (C). When I set the water to be on, it works instead, and green...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock