Search the forum,

Discuss Boilermate 2000 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danv44444

Hi Guys,

i customer called today and said that Gledhill has said they need a new unvented cylinder as there boilermate 2000 has corroded through. I went to see them and the boilermate has had it.
The heating is fed from an f&e tank and I assumed that the how water would be unvented but I can't see any sign of a blow off pipe for the hot water side of things anywhere? Surely it must need one? Have I missed something?

i told the customer I would need to run a blowoff pipe to outside and the looked at me like I was having a laugh and said there's no way there gonna let me take carpets up as the Gledhill guy told them all the pipework needed was there. I told them it can't be done with out a blowoff pipe but I'd have a look at alternatives and give them a call. The called me back and said they are going to go down another route after speaking to there neighbours who have already had it done.

have I missed a trick?

any comments would be much appreciated

cheers guys

I forgot to mention its a four bathroomed house. No way a combi can cope

It's a thermal store? the water draw off is done through the coil in the boilermate the thermal store is open vented it should only have an overflow from the F&E tank?

Yep, thermal store.... Look them up, no safety relief needed...

the f&e may not even have a overflow, sometimes the tanks are filled up manually and don't even have a fill valve, or they just use stop tap once it full & turn off!

Quote a like for like boilermate? Or don't they make them no more, or new thermal store!

url.jpg
hope this helps, cos water is heated instantaneously (i.e. no storage) no G3 safety valves required.

System mate 2000. Unvented store , fit a remote prv. Open vent through store and on to plate DHW through plate and then blending valve.

Absolute rubbish! If they going an alternate route just ask them what they have opted for .... Just for your records.

Replaced loads where the DHW transfer fluid ( manual top up open vent) had run dry..... Plumber said it was a faulty tmv so best replace! Woop woop!

Sounds to me like they would be better off with unvented cylinder in the long run.
Thanks for advice though guys.

Also worth checking the boiler is adequately sized for property, a lot around here only have 12kW in 4/5 bed houses with thermal store.

Albion Mainsflow Contractor is a replacement solution normally.

Same principle as the Gledhill but usually last a bit longer !

ive had one for over twenty years in all that time its had 2 tmv's over 3bar pressure at every tap and usually bombproof i would definately have another

The boilermate I looked at was only installed in 2003. Its leaking all over the shop.

this is funny i went out to one today 2 inch of sludge at the bottom of the f and e tank she wants it cleaned out then called me back and wanted a combi ehhh noooo

Hi, I drained the heating side of one of these systems down to fix a leak on a heating pipe on ground floor. Was a 4 storey terraced house with a combined feed and vent. When it came to filling it up it was a nightmare, the only way I could get it to fill up was to switch it on and press the emergency heating button on it which seems to push the water round and the air out of the automatic air vents. I tried bleeding pump, every radiator and all air vents I could find to get the water to fill up the system. In the end I did manage to get water from every rad, but seemed like it was air locked or blocked?. Are they usually this hard to fill back up? Or do you think it was due to the combined feed and vent no allowing air to escape easily? Are there any little tricks to help fill the heating back up on these systems? Customer did tell me when I finished that every engineer they have had in has had problems with it and recommended a unvented cylinder.

thanks

There going to Gledhill to fit them another one, not sure what model. They will end up paying a small fortune. It's gonna cost them loads more if the heating system requires maintenance or changing parts in the future too because it's such a nightmare to drain down. I've told them an unvented cylinder would be better but I think they think they know best so they can do what they want it's there money. Muppets!

mines in the loft and has valves on everything so its never been drained down think it got a bottle of inhibitor about 10 years ago and i forgot to say it wasnt new when i got it and it sat in my yard a couple of years before i fitted it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boilermate 2000 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock