Discuss B+Q Prices! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point when if you're refused gas fittings etc in Plumbfix that you can go across the road to the same company's DIY section called B&Q and buy them? I sent my missus to buy me a gas cooker hose and she got it no problem from B&Q. She's an office worker!

If you stopped joe public buying anything to do with Gas, then they'd just switch to the internet...well a lot of them would. It'll never happen.

It would be nice if it did, but it won't.

Did PTS/Plumb Centre or any other plumbing merchants ask to see your credientials before you opened an account, or just a letter head!?

I buy all manner of boiler parts from PTS, for all they know I might just dress like a plumber...oh and smell like one.

You get my point.

As a registered engineer i am supportive of some merchants not selling 'gas' fittings to non-registered but, i hope it doesn't become a 'closed shop' and that means lack of competition (back to the 70's!!), higher prices and effectively a restriction of trade. What about these scenarios;
A large national housebuilder negotiates low prices for bulk buying but, a merchant says, sorry your not competent to have boilers or gas fires?????
You need to get your car brakes done but halfords laugh when you can't prove your qualified and suggest they can supply a local garage only and not you?????????
Oh and by the way, no more heating controls, wiring centres, cable or fused spurs for you plumbers, only available to qualified electricians???
Or... are we all saying that car repairs and 230v electrics don't have any safety issues and are all DIY???

Rofl went into B&Q on friday for a new toolbox as they had some decent offers on due to the bank holiday weekend. Ended up giving my number out for a job some woman was plunging her sink and it was coming through the bath B&Q guy didnt have a clue what he was talking about so i jumped in and gave her a tip then she said oh can you do it instead? Done it saturday £35 for pouring some knockout down the pipe ;)

Rofl went into B&Q on friday for a new toolbox as they had some decent offers on due to the bank holiday weekend. Ended up giving my number out for a job some woman was plunging her sink and it was coming through the bath B&Q guy didnt have a clue what he was talking about so i jumped in and gave her a tip then she said oh can you do it instead? Done it saturday £35 for pouring some knockout down the pipe ;)
I once handed out my leaflets in their carpark and got loads of work. Revenge is sweet!

The look on the guys face that was serving her was priceless, think he was shocked that i actually gave my number to her haha.

It isn't the job of a commercial consortium (or monopoly) to establish restrictive or closed shop practices. The cynical thinking is to be seen to be on side and therefore court trade; also establish an elite. If a loony member of the public wants to blow him or herself up that's up to them and any statute or law as a consequence, it is not the business of shops or trades to interfere. This echoes exactly the debate about so called fast trackers. If there is no other route (never mind the theoretical apprenticeships that don't exist or are blocked to older people) for new entrants into the trade then so be it. I abhor the idea that only a select few and their 'chosen' family or friends should be able to gain access to an earning trade or profession. My views are the same for the so called white collar jobs. Anyone should be able to gain access or entrance: if they are no good at it, that's a different matter.

tradepoint account reduces the b&q prices get yourself one of those just incase you need to nip over to b&q if its nearer or merchants are shut, last resort though :p

I think GQuigley67 has got it right B&Q are definately trying to push their trade accounts at the moment I went to buy some 1/2" tap washers last week mainly because I was passing and I couldnt be bothered to root around in the back of the motor, I couldnt belive it when I got to the checkout and they tried to charge me £4.50 for them, nearly had a heart attack, (that would probably cheer a few people up if i did).
I left em on the counter and rooted around in the motor

It isn't the job of a commercial consortium (or monopoly) to establish restrictive or closed shop practices. The cynical thinking is to be seen to be on side and therefore court trade; also establish an elite. If a loony member of the public wants to blow him or herself up that's up to them and any statute or law as a consequence, it is not the business of shops or trades to interfere. This echoes exactly the debate about so called fast trackers. If there is no other route (never mind the theoretical apprenticeships that don't exist or are blocked to older people) for new entrants into the trade then so be it. I abhor the idea that only a select few and their 'chosen' family or friends should be able to gain access to an earning trade or profession. My views are the same for the so called white collar jobs. Anyone should be able to gain access or entrance: if they are no good at it, that's a different matter.

why would buisness , shops , trades , want to interfere with a damaged individual blowning him self up,and apprenticeships are 90% practical based

You also have to remember that B&Q are open long hours, Saturday, Sunday and Bank holidays and that costs money. Compare that to your trade merchant. Screwfix work well for me and are quite a bit cheaper than B&Q even the new trade point part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to B+Q Prices! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Clearance section at B&q has some good deals. Room stats from £1-£5 28mm fittings 50p Box of 300 end feed fittings £23 Grundfoss 15-50 pump £30...
Replies
Views
N
Hi all, You may have read my previous post about a customer that cancelled a job at the last minute and that I had a load of copper as a result...
Replies
Views
glenno1
G
Went to Plumbase this week for a few things. Plumbase is the only plumbers merchants in that town. 1 x 22mm equal compression tee. - That's...
Replies
Views
vinniethecat
V
P
This week..... We are a company that deals with ANY issue in houses and that means ANY issue...ATM we are installing lintels before our customer...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock