Search the forum,

Discuss approved plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aqualogic7

here is the name of the replacement of approved plumber scheme Using the working title 'WaterSafe Installers Scheme', the plan is that qualified plumbing businesses which meet the scheme criteria can be part of a national scheme which gives customers assurances that plumbing work will be done in compliance with the Regulations/Bylaws.
still to be finalized
:bobby:

until it becomes illegal to plumb without being a member joe public will not care imo

+1, another scheme after our hard earned :(

As I mentioned, many moons ago, water is the only thing that you can work on without some sort of registering - until somebody in government realises that water, in the right circumstances, can kill. Wonder what circumstances arose to cause government to impose licensing on working on water? Just another cash cow to improve their tax free allowances and expenses and huge gold plated pensions.

I sure we can all afford it from our £60k+ wages, if only we can spare the time from ripping off little old ladies to fill in the paperwork. :62:

What planet do they think we're on, its tight enough as it is!

Best way the government has had in ages about raising more revenue?

Making sure we don't get cash for scrap!

Better than any pony scheme about registering with a body that will do nothing!

The problem is we have loads of laws and Regs for just about everything in the trade. But you can ask for as many qualifications or make as many regulations as you like and you may not improve the standards of work. It is probably only when you police it properly that you get improvements. But while I suppose its cheaper to make laws about things and get people to pay to get qualified than provide inspectors it will always be the same.

Some regulations go too far though (as far as I'm concerned). I get the feeling that they're written so that there's no call back on the people who design them.

For example, with oil tanks the base has to be solid and extend to 300mm beyond the furthest extremity of the tank. Our tank is on a solid base with about 100mm all round it and is not going anywhere. Many others I see are on solid bases with an extra 50mm to 200mm out from the base and they look solid as can be expected. So why 300mm?

Ditto with hot water pipes being above cold water pipes. Has anyone ever come across a legionnaires case where the cold water pipe has been above the hot water pipe in a house? Only cases of legionnaires disease I come across are from commerial and industrial installations and I bet none of those are due to the cold pipes being above hot water pipes. They seem to stem from storage instead.

For example, with oil tanks the base has to be solid and extend to 300mm beyond the furthest extremity of the tank. Our tank is on a solid base with about 100mm all round it and is not going anywhere. Many others I see are on solid bases with an extra 50mm to 200mm out from the base and they look solid as can be expected. So why 300mm?

I thought the 300mm was nothing to do with structural considerations -iIsn't the 300mm a fire break?

Fire break is 1.8m ...

I just tell customers that if they build a tennis court then OFTEC will be happy.

Fire break is 1.8m ...

I just tell customers that if they build a tennis court then OFTEC will be happy.

According to Part J, the 300 is kind of a fire break. It's to reduce the risk of the tank base becoming overgrown with combustible plant material.

Yes, different kinds of fire breaks but in open air it's 1.8m. Can be 100mm if correct materials used. But then how can the base be 300mm where distance to a fire break can be 100mm?

Stupid rules, as with much of the construction industry.

theres a web site about laying paving slabs great site very informative and the guy obviously knows his stuff and he challenges anyone to lay slabs on the British Standards slab laying mix, he compared it to laying slabs on pea soup

Ho good yet another scheme we can pay for talk about a licence to work ! and dont forget the Gov's 20% (vat) on it all.

Just thought I would revive an old thread, as I did a search on here about 'Water Safe' (catchy huh).

This 'water safe' thing seems to be featuring in more and more trade magazines, and flyers that I'm seeing lately.

Apparently it's free to join. Yeah right!

Anyone had any dealings with em?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to approved plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the Government in the UK needs to do more to make green energy heat pumps and other green central heating options more affordable for the UK customers...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Scott Jenkins Water Softeners Ltd is a fast growing family run business that covers all aspects of Water Softeners and Drinking Water Systems. Working in both domestic households and commercial businesses, located in and around East Sussex, West Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, and Kent. You’ll need...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock