Discuss Angle Drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Welton

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Looking to get a angle drill, for drilling joists and other jobs I'm sure I'll find for it. Looking at the theses 3 anyone got/used them and has some input, or any other sugestions.

Makita UK

Makita UK Presently the Favourite

Makita UK Whilst significantly more powerful may be too heavy for prolonged use overhead?

I had considered the smaller versions, and the 18v but think the 10mm chuck may be a bit limiting also not convinced they have sufficient power to get though some of of the joists in cottages I come across.

I have had the 6300 for some years now.
Very good torque and running as good as new.
If the 400LR is the updated model I would go for that.
Just finished a first fix heating and water in plastic pipe work, the angle head saves a lot of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the second one to be honest I've not used it as much as I thought i would

i have used all three and own the bigger one. All good drills. the first two are roughly the same tbh. the big one i have is heavy but kicks the gearbox's of the others two, better allround tbh. if you are only using it some times then go for one of the slower ones, if you plan on using it for large holes and alot of the time get the big one.

you can get some in the usa that gear down as the bit slows down, bet they weigh a ton tho.

you could also consider a milwaukee m28 angle drill if you want a cordless one that can do what the smaller makita can. ive had one for years and you have to buy it from the usa but its a monster and its cordless.

41FFZ54QBXL._SX300_.jpg

I have a metabo driil with angle attachment, use it regularly, more than straight drilling, has a clutch too. drill holes 25 mm and four inch deep

The DA4000 will be better than the 6300 model (which I have a older version of) because the handle of the DA4000 is close to the chuck so you can use hand pressure against the drill bit much easier, rather than the handle down on the drill body like the 6300.

Makita 18V with metal chuck and key......seems ok but not used it that much tbh

Low speed high torque 110v and use twist bits. Will go through anything all day long and you can drag it all around the place.

This is the one I use. As long as the bits are sharp it will do a 30mm hole through a joist no problem. If I've got a lot of holes to do I just buy a few new flat bits for the job. First job I used it on the joists were 100 year old and solid as a rock and it coped. It will get into smaller spaces than the others.

Makita UK

I've got the second one and its brilliant, use it all the time and its never let me down.

This is the one I use. As long as the bits are sharp it will do a 30mm hole through a joist no problem. If I've got a lot of holes to do I just buy a few new flat bits for the job. First job I used it on the joists were 100 year old and solid as a rock and it coped. It will get into smaller spaces than the others.

Makita UK

Ive also got this one, 110 volt the only down side is the10mm chuck but as mike says just buy a few spades and it works all day,

the thing i like about the big one is when i have had say 100's of holes to drill in a large house or row of houses you can put a 25 or 32mm auger bit through 3-4" thick joists in fast speed setting and it only takes a few seconds per hole where the smaller ones are very slow and slow the deeper you go into the joists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Angle Drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Relatively new to install work having been heavily biased to boiler service and repair for the last 12 odd years. I have some powertools...
Replies
Views
Anyone thinking about shelling out on new tools hang on to your £££' still end of June/early July just having a coffee with a makita rep, and...
Replies
Views
ghjhg5856
G
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock