Discuss Am I being underpaid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My training wages started as £35/wk first year, £40/wk second year, £70/wk 3rd yr then lost my apprenticeship and ended up finishing my time on £60/wk. That was 1989-93. But there wasn't minimum wage back then.

and what point are we making here..you were paid right,wrong or what :arabia:

all those saying how little they earned twenty years ago don't forget to double it to adjust for inflation

Sorry my point was even with carp wages, it's gaining the experience that counts and the better money comes later. It would be interesting to know how old the OP is as if hes more mature then I think his boss is taking a bit of a lend!

Are you making your boss money to cover your wages or are you making a lot of mistakes/slow working speed costing him money?

Hi all, When I started I took home £3-19s-1p for a 40 hour week and it was hard work.

Come on ball valve, you've obviously got years of experience and stories to share mate. Post a bit more and let us know.

Back in 1957 I got 1.17.06 pounds for a 56hour week, after a year I got 10 shillings a week rise,enjoyed every moment.loved the job till 50 when back and knees gave out, retired to lovely Spain. may the euro keep dropping soon 1.50 to a pound.

Don't think short term .... trust me, I'm 39.. and just finished my c&g 2... i got long way to go, but when i was 18 all my mates were apprentices , i used to take the mick out of there crap wages whilst i was earning proper money ... now they are laughing at me!!! stick with it honestly mate.

Holy cow! I pay labourers more than that. But as Adam said, hang in there, and when your qualified give him both barrels.

Ps, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam.

Get to the hospital before it's too late :eek:

Back in 1957 I got 1.17.06 pounds for a 56hour week, after a year I got 10 shillings a week rise,enjoyed every moment.loved the job till 50 when back and knees gave out, retired to lovely Spain. may the euro keep dropping soon 1.50 to a pound.

Back in 1957 1 pound was probably enough to buy a house :D

The beauty of plumbing is, that with a loyal customer base , you can choose your hours, choose your jobs and continue past a time when others have retired.
PS. I intended to retire a millionaire at 50 but still waiting for 8 draws on my coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I being underpaid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back