Search the forum,

Discuss [Please Help]Cold Water Tank Replacement Cost-Am I Being Ripped Off? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

R

Rupert

Hello Everyone.
I humbly come to post needing your advice on a rather urgent issue I have regarding my cold water tank in the loft. Basically, a few days ago I noticed a patch of yellow in my bedroom ceiling. I then went up in my loft to find that the water tank was leaking. I called a plumber who changed the valve and charged me £170. He then told me that I should think about changing the tank and he said he'd do it for £1500. Worriedly I then called another local plumber and he quoted me £1300.
Am I right in thinking these prices are a lot? I don't want to sound rude but I think they know I'm desperate.

Please can anyone shed some light as to how much I should be looking at to replace a plastic water tank in the loft?

Really appreciate everyone's input.

Did you find out where it was leaking from ? And any pictures of the said tanks ?

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Here I would charge half of that to replace the ball valve.

I doubt if you need to change the tank, sounds like a chancer.

If so, around £500 should cover the job…

Depends on size and access but I'd think anything over £700 is too expensive. If your wanting it done straight away tho, then price could double. I just wouldn't do it if my diary is full but plenty will drop other work for the right price - I think that could be what's happening here.

Hard to say without seeing it. Does the base need upgrading, new tanks aren't cheap, what's the access like etc etc etc.

I would of charged a high price note a proper platform has to be built for the tank to stand on. maybe flooring has to be put down to enable the work to be carried out plus materials and labour.

Thank you for the responses. I have managed to find a plumber who will do the work for £350. I take it this is a fair price as I'm going to get my own tank?

There was a leak in the tank near the bore hole. I'm in Hertfordshire. The loft access is okay, but the clearance is rather low.

Anything under £500 is good value I'd say just advise your plumber to support the tank over it entire base fit the bylaw kit and insulate the pipework and tank well. Kop

Reply to [Please Help]Cold Water Tank Replacement Cost-Am I Being Ripped Off? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock