Search the forum,

Discuss What spanners/grips you use for chrome rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Mario

Gas Engineer
My bahcos slippin and grips chewing the body what you use?

Nerrad Bilateral Wrench or knipex smooth jaw

Usually just use either my hand or adjustables , usually tighten valve onto pipe crush olive undo and tighten onto tail, undo then add joining compound and tighten up, but I do have one of these although rarely used as I forget about it, http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqZHJFME92Bd,KnpBP6wkK,wTQ~~60_35.JPG

I highly recommend the Knipex smooth jaw wrench.
The jaws are parallel opening, but most importantly is they keep tightening against the nut as you use pressure on the handles. Excellent for chromed valves and the brass tap glands.
It was Jaytheplumber who on this forum I think first let me know about it

This is one I got, 250mm model, but you need to choose the right size for your jobs, or buy a set. They are a bit bulky at the jaw end, although are also fairly slim there.
image.jpg

Last edited:
If I can't see where my footie gripped the nut I wouldn't know it was tight. With taps I'm more careful.

you could try using the correct sized spanner!

But you can never really get any spanner tight enough. Especially on chrome or some designs of nuts with rounded edges. And soft brass will crush a little on edges that pressure is applied to if nut is tight. Brass tap spindles are good example of this.
I know I am a snob but be like me and get into the modern age with a Knipex self constantly tightening smooth jaw spanner.

But you can never really get any spanner tight enough. Especially on chrome or some designs of nuts with rounded edges. And soft brass will crush a little on edges that pressure is applied to if nut is tight. Brass tap spindles are good example of this.
I know I am a snob but be like me and get into the modern age with a Knipex self constantly tightening smooth jaw spanner.

I am more a technician and engineer, I hate adjustables etc, they slip end of, hence why I use spanners where possible. not everything modern is better imho :)

I am more a technician and engineer, I hate adjustables etc, they slip end of, hence why I use spanners where possible. not everything modern is better imho :)

No doubt you are right, - I find adjustables are just a general do all spanner with which I have to make sure they are fully tight on the nut before using them. But they are fine on ordinary fittings. With some oddball fittings the nuts are not standard and a set of open end spanners won't cover it. I do have a set of Teng spanners which are nice quality and used for oil boiler work mainly.
The Knipex spanner just doesn't move on the fittings/nuts and shouldn't slip. That means it also shouldn't slide to the side of a fitting/nut and angle and slip off sideways. It also lets you 'grip' a fitting to hold into position like set of grips can do. And you can manually ratchet it.
Early days with the Knipex for me, but I find I always reach for it with some fittings and tap works. Trouble is it is yet another expensive tool cramming the tool box and making it heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What spanners/grips you use for chrome rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock