Search the forum,

Discuss Water temperature fluctuation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pfi

Hi,

We have problems with the hot water temperature,is fluctuating from hot to cold in all the taps of the house, it proves impossible to have a shower.

We have a thermal store (gledhill torrent eco) that was installed by BG almost 5 months ago,we never had any problems with the previous cylinder, the issue occurred almost three weeks ago and we had three British gas engineers that tried to address the issue unsuccessfully ,

The first one said that the problem is that the temperature was set to 60 and it should have been on 70 so he asked us to leave it on 70 and he said this should fix the issue (is that even true ?)

The second one removed a " return valve " apparently this is was not needed, when he left I have tested and the issue seemed resolved however it was short lived as it keeps on happening again since (not sure if the valve removed is actually needed or now :/ ?)

The third one suggested to leave the hot water on 24hours ? I said that I never had to do this before and turning on the hot water to boost an hour before was always enough but I tried the suggestion (left hot water on for 2 days) but the problem is still not fixed,

When I called him he said that he has no clue why this is happening and he would check with colleagues and gledhill and get back to us...

Does anyone have any suggestions / insight that can help and that I can also provide to the engineer?

Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem caused by a faulty thermostatic shower valve. It was allowing cold water to pass through to the hot water pipe. The check valve had become stuck due to some debris.

Try isolating your hot water and then turning on a hot tap (you should get no water) to see if you get cold water coming through.

I had a similar problem caused by a faulty thermostatic shower valve. It was allowing cold water to pass through to the hot water pipe. The check valve had become stuck due to some debris.

Try isolating your hot water and then turning on a hot tap (you should get no water) to see if you get cold water coming through.

thanks for the reply but the problem happens in both showers in the house and other taps as well so might not be the same issue

Hi,

We have problems with the hot water temperature,is fluctuating from hot to cold in all the taps of the house, it proves impossible to have a shower.

We have a thermal store (gledhill torrent eco) that was installed by BG almost 5 months ago,we never had any problems with the previous cylinder, the issue occurred almost three weeks ago and we had three British gas engineers that tried to address the issue unsuccessfully ,

The first one said that the problem is that the temperature was set to 60 and it should have been on 70 so he asked us to leave it on 70 and he said this should fix the issue (is that even true ?)

The second one removed a " return valve " apparently this is was not needed, when he left I have tested and the issue seemed resolved however it was short lived as it keeps on happening again since (not sure if the valve removed is actually needed or now :/ ?)

The third one suggested to leave the hot water on 24hours ? I said that I never had to do this before and turning on the hot water to boost an hour before was always enough but I tried the suggestion (left hot water on for 2 days) but the problem is still not fixed,

When I called him he said that he has no clue why this is happening and he would check with colleagues and gledhill and get back to us...

Does anyone have any suggestions / insight that can help and that I can also provide to the engineer?

Many Thanks

When you say fluctuating, are you talking about hot to cold and back again continuously, so if you left it running it would turn hot to cold and back again as long as it runs. I'm trying to establish whether you run out of water or whether something is effecting it.

Are your shower hot and cold water supplies off the same balanced pressures ?

When you say fluctuating, are you talking about hot to cold and back again continuously, so if you left it running it would turn hot to cold and back again as long as it runs. I'm trying to establish whether you run out of water or whether something is effecting it.

Are your shower hot and cold water supplies off the same balanced pressures ?

Hi, yes very hot to cold and back again continuously,
Not sure about the second question really.

It sounds like a mixer valve problem but its hard to diagnose without physically seeing and testing. Can you not get a good independent Heating Engineer to look at it for you.
It won't be a DIY job by the sounds of it.

As above, one or more than one mixer shower is allowing cold to cross over to the hot. This will cause the problem you have.

Shame BG can't send someone out who knows about plumbing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water temperature fluctuation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock