Search the forum,

Discuss Van Tyre Choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomplumb83

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Who buys quality tyres for their van?
Good quality tyres are supposed to be a must for a decent car. Yet a mechanic will tell you to go for cheap ones on a van as it isn't worth fitting quality tyres
I do alot of miles in all weather at a fair speed. Loads of weight in the back, probably double that of a car. Is it worth the extra.
Ive always had cheap tyres. Am I missing out on quality rubber. Is it safe to roll on the cheap stuff or will unplanned things occur

Last edited:
I was also told this to got for budget tyres in general as the rubber tends to be a bit harder so dont wear as fast but you lose a little in end grip but i dont go fast in the van any way.

Biggest false economy is buying part worns they are waste of money in my experience of them.

To be fair, I haven't got a clue what a quality van tyre looks like, unless I go off price

I drive my van like I stole it

Go for a mid range tyre on the van Tom.

(Haven`t forgotten the other email and will reply this weekend)

Don't bother RPM - Ive opted for a younger man this weekend. I'll keep you in mind for next time.

What is a mid range van tyre? I should probably just slow down.
Vredstein/ Continental / Uniroyal seem to be the way to go

Don't bother RPM - Ive opted for a younger man this weekend. I'll keep you in mind for next time.

Ye gods! That`s gonna get minds spinning! lol

I thought it was about cheap macerators.

Last edited:
I put cheap tat on mine, I only do about 6k a year though and all round town. If I was doing big mileage at speed with loads on, I'd be using decent rubber. It could save your life.

I have a front wheel drive Transit goes through a set in less than 18 Mths regardless of what quality tyres I fit , so I just pay about £60/70 a corner !! rear tyres never seem to wear out

I've always been a big believer in going for the same as what's fitted by the manufacturer

quality, good point but surely the manufacturer puts what ever tyre they can get a deal on
Abit like Mercedes recommend PETRONAS and just so happen to be sponsored by them

quality, good point but surely the manufacturer puts what ever tyre they can get a deal on
Abit like Mercedes recommend PETRONAS and just so happen to be sponsored by them

My, you are a suspicious character.

I used to just get cheap Chinese tyres from the place I used to go to, but I didn't like the way the monkeys would treat the van or their tools, so I've been to ATS for my last 3 tyres they where cheaper for good brand tyres, can't remember the name off the top, of my head

Missing the point here....
Why do I need to fit premium tyres on my car and budgets to my van?

I wouldn't say so I did some development at millbrook proving ground, spent about 2 years there on and off during the 1990`s where tyres were being developed for each specific car

Surely if you think you won't need decent tyres to save your life someday, - you might save someone else? A loaded van needs good grip. Take a look at the difference in grip and stopping distance with using winter tyres, for example!
You need good rubber, no matter what make of tyre. Only thing to save money with is there are versions of each tyre rated for different maximum speeds. You don't need tyres rated for 150mph fitted to a van obviously.
Only people to advise are experienced tyre fitters.

Last edited:
I have a front wheel drive Transit goes through a set in less than 18 Mths regardless of what quality tyres I fit , so I just pay about £60/70 a corner !! rear tyres never seem to wear out
thats why your suposed to rotate them every year!! or there is something with your set up dynamics?
i did have a supplier of australian tyres made for the bush and jagged 10000000mile back roads. they were a tougher rubber and lasted 3 times our tyres. that was untill there was a block on them not meeting E.U rules and at half the price :(

Ive always had Continental vancos on my vans and toyos on cars one thing I don't mind paying for is tyres

Cooper s/t maxx on mine. Good for 60,000 miles.

I'll probably get 10,000 the way i drive!

Last edited:
main issue being you must use commercial tyres on a van, ie those capable of carrying the load in your van, if you have a car based van dont think you can bung on budget car tyres, the coppers/dvla types will screw you on a vehicle check, only know as my mechanic pointed this out, thn saw a lad being done on a van check a few weeks later.

main issue being you must use commercial tyres on a van, ie those capable of carrying the load in your van, if you have a car based van dont think you can bung on budget car tyres, the coppers/dvla types will screw you on a vehicle check, only know as my mechanic pointed this out, thn saw a lad being done on a van check a few weeks later.

My father in law got pulled up on this, he changed garage and they noticed wrong tyres had been fitted on his tipper truck.

i always go for quality,i had bf goodridge on the landy and i am looking for a road version of them to go on the van

I went for Cooper on the front this time, as said tyre's on front don't last two minutes and they come with free puncture repair with a list of get out clauses as long as your arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Van Tyre Choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock