Currently reading:
Unvented Cylinder No Hot Water

Discuss Unvented Cylinder No Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yogiblair

Hi,

I have a Tribune Range HE, direct unvented cylinder with a gas boiler. Recently I had a very small leak (more of a weap) from the two port valve on the CH. I isolated the water supply, electricity and closed off the valves I could see directly effecting this circuit. I removed the actuator assembly cleaned up the two port valve, re-seated everything and all appeared ok. The leak has been fixed.

The next day after showers I ran out of hot water. One thing to note that I have been running this as an indirect system for over a year (immersion heater switched off) and always had sufficient levels of hot water.

The CH works fine. In investigating I noticed that i had zero pressure at the expansion tank. (when removing the two port valve there was a very small release of pressure) I opened the fill loop and now have 1.3bar at the expansion tank.

I can get hot water by turning on the immersion heater, however I have tried several tests now with the immersion heater off and after using the contents of the tank I get cold running through.

I have read that my problem may be with the motorized valve on the primary flow line. I have tried running this in manual but still get no hot water unless the immersion heater is on.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Take off the motorised valve head and turn open manually and see if any heat will pass then
I'm still thinking its a faulty zone valve
done this and the valve is already in the open position but closed and opened it again to be sure. the pipe above is hot and below cold

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you bleed pressure from temp pressure relief valve
That's the domestic water not heating
my problem is with the water, not heating. I bleed pressure from this tonight following early suggestion on here. It did release air before water in to the tundish
if you are referring to my question, (which was before any pictures)
ok, assumption was the valve was the one to the hot water.
is there a bleed screw somewhere that has not been opened, and the pipe is full of air?
some photos might prove helpful.
then what I had in mind was this
The red cap above the no. 6 have you tried bleeding that to see if its just air.
I think it is really time to call a qualified professional to sort this out, it is after all an unvented cylinder!
the potential danger from things not working properly is worrying!

I think you have done more than enough fiddling now and it's time to get a professional in to sort the problem. Unvented cylinders can be extremely dangerous if not set up correctly and I think if you carry on fiddling with random valves it will only lead to further problems for you.Put a post on the looking for a Plumber part of the forum.

It's self bleeding. Please seek assistance from a local engineer.
ok guys getting the picture. why was i told to try and bleed it if its self bleeding however. I understand that a pressurized system can be dangerous. I am an engineer from another discipline and understand the fault finding process. Further more the fault occurred after i removed / re-seated a valve so that has a fair chance of being the root cause of my problem. I would not be surprised if air in the system was the cause.

The cap when loose but not off lets air out automatically, sometimes thecaps are screwed shut sorry i didnt clarify that bit. like the guys say those cylinders can be very dangerouse if there tinkered with..ask around the forum for somebody..good luck pal.

The cap when loose but not off lets air out automatically, sometimes thecaps are screwed shut sorry i didnt clarify that bit. like the guys say those cylinders can be very dangerouse if there tinkered with..ask around the forum for somebody..good luck pal.
One last thing for my understanding. I ran for over a year with the immersion power off so my hot water was being heated from the gas boiler i have no problems with hot water during the summer when my heating thermostat is turned away down, so essentially off. That says to me the the boiler must fire to heat my hot water. At the moment it is not firing for hot water, only CH.

Yep it should do both independantly of each other or both at the same time via the programmer. youve got an 's' plan system ie two 2port valves that divert the water being circulated by the pump to whichever circuit the 2ports are open too. if ones shut that circuit doesnt get hot visaversa.

Oh your an engineer, that's alright then. You automatically qualify to work on unvented systems a d gas boilers.

I'm out of here, still working on that bridge at the bottom of my garden.

:)

Oh your an engineer, that's alright then. You automatically qualify to work on unvented systems a d gas boilers.

I'm out of here, still working on that bridge at the bottom of my garden.

:)
did I say I was qualified to work on an unvented system?

did I say I was qualified to work on an unvented system? i dont think so dip ****.

Nice! You've had tons of useful advice and you're abusing one of the guys that helped you.

Howsie's point is very valid. Your engineering skills are in a different arena, and whilst the fault-finding process may have some common aspects, the specific knowledge required is very different. From the way you describe your problem and the terminology you use it's obvious that you really don't know much about unvented cylinders or heating systems. That's fine, but drop the arrogance. You didn't say in as many words that you're qualified, but by fiddling, and stating that you're an engineer, the implication is very clear that you consider yourself somewhat qualified.

Nice! You've had tons of useful advice and you're abusing one of the guys that helped you.

Howsie's point is very valid. Your engineering skills are in a different arena, and whilst the fault-finding process may have some common aspects, the specific knowledge required is very different. From the way you describe your problem and the terminology you use it's obvious that you really don't know much about unvented cylinders or heating systems. That's fine, but drop the arrogance. You didn't say in as many words that you're qualified, but by fiddling, and stating that you're an engineer, the implication is very clear that you consider yourself somewhat qualified.
Yes ive had tons of useful advice of which I am thankful for. I am certainly not being arrogant, that is why I am on a forum, to seek advice on a an issue I am well aware i dont know enough about. So there is certainly no implication from my part that I am qualified. Most of the contributors on here have been helpful. I dont appreciate sarcasm about building bridges. The frustrating thing for me is that when I do get this fixed I know it will be a simple solution, but thanks for your input.

did I say I was qualified to work on an unvented system? i dont think so dip ****.

True colours.

My point is, you are performing work on a system that has a variety of safety devices attached to ensure your safety and that of your family. You have to hold a building regs certificate to install and maintain these. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

FYI, the bridge reference is more of a running joke for me. Use the search button and I'm sure you'll find it.

Yes ive had tons of useful advice of which I am thankful for. I am certainly not being arrogant, that is why I am on a forum, to seek advice on a an issue I am well aware i dont know enough about.

You've had 3 or 4 people, maybe more, tell you that the problem is almost certainly with the 2-port valve. To which your answer has been "I'm convinced it's not" or variations on that theme. To ignore the advice of experienced and knowledgeable people, whose input you've sought, comes across as arrogant, even if that's not your intent.

I'd concur with that advice, by the way. You say you removed the actuator head and cleaned up the valve. That sounds like it was weeping from around the spindle. The limescale buildup can cause the spindle to become stiff and hard to turn. You also say that the actuator head is very warm. That's consistent with a not-very-powerful motor struggling against a strong resistance. We may not always explain our reasoning behind our diagnoses - it becomes a sort of mental shorthand. You're probably the same in your area of expertise. I'd still say look again at that valve.

Calling someone who has tried to assist you, only for you to dismiss that help, a dip**** is inexcusable. You don't like sarcasm, other people don't like putting time and effort into helping people for free only to be pooh-poohed. Swings and roundabouts, mate.

You've had 3 or 4 people, maybe more, tell you that the problem is almost certainly with the 2-port valve. To which your answer has been "I'm convinced it's not" or variations on that theme. To ignore the advice of experienced and knowledgeable people, whose input you've sought, comes across as arrogant, even if that's not your intent.

I'd concur with that advice, by the way. You say you removed the actuator head and cleaned up the valve. That sounds like it was weeping from around the spindle. The limescale buildup can cause the spindle to become stiff and hard to turn. You also say that the actuator head is very warm. That's consistent with a not-very-powerful motor struggling against a strong resistance. We may not always explain our reasoning behind our diagnoses - it becomes a sort of mental shorthand. You're probably the same in your area of expertise. I'd still say look again at that valve.

Calling someone who has tried to assist you, only for you to dismiss that help, a dip**** is inexcusable. You don't like sarcasm, other people don't like putting time and effort into helping people for free only to be pooh-poohed. Swings and roundabouts, mate.

In so many posts the information can get lost. There is no problem with the CH 2 port calve that I removed! CH is working fine. Like so many of the other topics on here, a little bit of advice is given and then it always ends with call in an expert! Precisely what myself and all the other entrants are trying to avoid!

It has either been a real coincidence that the water 2 port valve failed on the same day as me removing the CH 2 port valve or my actions have caused this? perhaps by powering off at the breaker. The water two port valve is a danfoss HPA2. Have you heard of these failing in such a way? This valve is hot. I have read elsewhere that there is a microswitch in these. If this has failed then will that be the reason why my boiler is not firing on demand?

Remove the valve head, see it you can turn the valve with your fingers if it's stiff then the valve is gubbed, as they say in Scotland.

Remove the valve head, see it you can turn the valve with your fingers if it's stiff then the valve is gubbed, as they say in Scotland.
Rob,

Thanks for the advice. Valve turns no problem. Must be faulty actuator, will replace this. Not as cut and dried as some of the "experts" above have proclaimed as this is a separate fault to my original problem of leaking CH two port valve.

Did you close the gate valve on the return out of the cylinder and not open it simple but possible if its that it wants to be half open I will say you don't really want to be messing with unvented if it goes wrong they can be the most dangerous thing in your house I'm not trying to scare you it is

I've give up if I were you Rob. He IS working on an Unvented system but choses to ignore the fact. Ignored the post which actually gave him the answer, post 3.

funny_engineer_tshirt-p235571157132010618y7vb_400.jpg

Or not as the case may be...

Unvented Hot Water (G3) Cylinders

their you go thats the qualification the engineer will need when your looking for one. you got more help here than most do ! do a search.. most of these threads have a straight answer of your not qualified get sombody in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Cylinder No Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back