Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual heating system in possible bungalow purchase in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monty2468

Hello, I went to view a Bungalow yesterday which we quite like, but it seems to have a weird heating system I haven't seen before. I presume it's all quite old, there was a floor standing Glow-worm gas boiler, and in each room along one wall, instead of radiators, there was just a low ( less than a foot ) metal sort of skirting board. Looking inside, it just looked like a copper pipe running through it, and that was it ??

I've had a look online, but it looks nothing like all the modern skirting board type systems, just wondered if anybody knew what it was, and is it straightforward to change the boiler and put radiators in each room instead.

Hopefully the attached picture will make more sense.

Thanks in advance

monty2468

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 122
anythings possible given time and money, if your changing the boiler and every things that old then update everything so everything is new...

You have skirting convectors installed.

Nothing wrong with them, if they are sized correctly.
You can change the boiler and connect up to the existing heating system.

You get roughly 500w of heat per metre of convector, if that helps

Thanks for the info, so they are still fed by hot water being pumped around them, like a radiator system ?? Sorry for being thick, but I can't seem to find any info on the net. It doesn't seem to be very popular, so is it as efficient if they are sized correctly. Thanks again for your help.

Study the Energy Performance Report in the sales literature. This will cover insulation, heat loss and possibility of improvement. It should also give figures for a boiler upgrade. Doing the maths keeping the old boiler may be the best option.

These sort of heaters are often installed on a one pipe system which means if you were to convert into a standard two pipe flow and return there would be an additional cost of running another heating pipe to all the rads.

Thanks for confirming the one pipe system bit, I was wondering if that would be the case. I suppose considering the age of the system, it would be best to get rid of all the old pipe work, and replace with all new pipe work ( presume not much difference in labour of having two new pipes rather than just one ), just additional cost of the copper pipe ??

Thanks for confirming the one pipe system bit, I was wondering if that would be the case. I suppose considering the age of the system, it would be best to get rid of all the old pipe work, and replace with all new pipe work ( presume not much difference in labour of having two new pipes rather than just one ), just additional cost of the copper pipe ??
Yes that would be a good idea if your budget allows it.

It may not be one pipe and could also have been be piped to separate flow and returns like modern systems. Don't let the single pipe construction fool you into thinking it has to be a one pipe system.
They are the old skirting radiators and must be very old. I haven't seen those for a long time.
Never liked them and always found a nice new standard radiator very much outperformed them.
Don't see the point of them ever been fitted in the first place when you have ample height for an ordinary rad.
The aluminium fins were just pushed tight over a single copper pipe running length of skirting heater. No way would that ever be much good as a heater. I always stripped the fins off the pipe so I had the scrap copper and so I know how poor they are. An ordinary steel convector radiator has a massive surface area for to lose its heat.

Last edited:
I doubt if any surveyor and definitely not any home energy report maker knows the output of a radiator let alone a skirting rad.

At the moment we are asked to give advice, "blind", without knowing construction details:
Solid floor, suspended floor, cavity wall, steel frame/brick skin etc. The EPC is a starting point.
The OP seems to be concentrating on the efficiency of the heating system regarding purchase.
The efficiency of the building and options for improvement should be considered as a whole.

Looking at a single part of the big picture is not always best as mentioned.
Best to look at whole sum of parts that make up the house & systems.
Insulation done properly first including windows/doors and draft proofing make a substantial difference.
I am sure British gas are doing the insulation to the walls & attic for free at the mo and its not means tested so if you are working and not in receipt of benefits you still get it compared to most other incentives where you get to work hard and then pay for , e.g. - new boiler upgrade whereas if on benefits you get it free???.
Once your insulation/draft-proofing is sorted then look at your other systems.

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't have much to do with my original question, re what is it and is it any good. I neither want a home energy report or a survey, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't have much to do with my original question, re what is it and is it any good. I neither want a home energy report or a survey, but thanks anyway. My reply to lame plumber

At the moment we are asked to give advice, "blind", without knowing construction details:
Solid floor, suspended floor, cavity wall, steel frame/brick skin etc. The EPC is a starting point.
The OP seems to be concentrating on the efficiency of the heating system regarding purchase.
The efficiency of the building and options for improvement should be considered as a whole.

Sorry but construction details are irrelevant, as I was just enquiring as to what type of system it is and if it's any good, which has been answered earlier.

Looking at a single part of the big picture is not always best as mentioned.
Best to look at whole sum of parts that make up the house & systems.
Insulation done properly first including windows/doors and draft proofing make a substantial difference.
I am sure British gas are doing the insulation to the walls & attic for free at the mo and its not means tested so if you are working and not in receipt of benefits you still get it compared to most other incentives where you get to work hard and then pay for , e.g. - new boiler upgrade whereas if on benefits you get it free???.
Once your insulation/draft-proofing is sorted then look at your other systems.

Does this have anything to do with my original question ????

You've been offered great advice from people in a respectful manner. If you've got the answer you require thank you for visiting the forum.

It may not be one pipe and could also have been be piped to separate flow and returns like modern systems. Don't let the single pipe construction fool you into thinking it has to be a one pipe system.
They are the old skirting radiators and must be very old. I haven't seen those for a long time.
Never liked them and always found a nice new standard radiator very much outperformed them.
Don't see the point of them ever been fitted in the first place when you have ample height for an ordinary rad.
The aluminium fins were just pushed tight over a single copper pipe running length of skirting heater. No way would that ever be much good as a heater. I always stripped the fins off the pipe so I had the scrap copper and so I know how poor they are. An ordinary steel convector radiator has a massive surface area for to lose its heat.

Thank you Best, for an informative reply. I think we have come to the conclusion that it all needs replacing for a more modern system even if it's not a single pipe system.

I have no idea what some of the other replies re construction, surveys and EPC are referring to, I was just trying to find out what type of system it was and were we looking at a replacement, which has been answered, so many thanks to the people who have given constructive replies.

You've been offered great advice from people in a respectful manner. If you've got the answer you require thank you for visiting the forum.

Yes, I have, and I have replied with thanks to those people, so is there a problem with me replying to the other people who have replied with unconnected answers ??

Please be reminded that if your reply can't help the original poster, it may be seen as pointless and taking the thread off topic. Please make sure what you are about to post is in-keeping with the forum rules, specifically the "be nice" rule. Just be nice and helpful (even to new members) or don't reply at all please. Also note that we urge all members, regular or new, to report any posts that are off-topic, pointless or offensive.

A tad pedantic I think.

You did ask what system it was. You did also ask about boiler replacement. With regard to boiler replacement the items mentioned in the previous posts would need looking at.

If you dont want the help then dont ask the question.

A tad pedantic I think.

You did ask what system it was. You did also ask about boiler replacement. With regard to boiler replacement the items mentioned in the previous posts would need looking at.

If you dont want the help then dont ask the question.

Pedantic...really ??

This really is getting out of hand, I did ask the question, and some people did answer it, and I thanked them for it....others took it to a whole new level, which was irrelevant.

Why are you now having a go at me ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unusual heating system in possible bungalow purchase in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock