Discuss uneven window sills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foodface

Fitted four radiators today, fitted them all to be level as that's the way I was taught to do things in college and at work previously. One of them is under a window sill which is hidiously un level. Explained this to the customer but they aren't happy. Spoke to a mate and he said he fits things uneven to suit other fixtures so now I'm thinking my way was wrong.

What's everyones thoughts on this.

Cheers.

Damon.

Always hang mine level under windows which maybe uneven but end of the day customer is king

What I do is let the customer decide ask them if they want it with the window sill or level. then if its not level put the vent at the highest end.

The fun begins when the window sill slopes 1 way and the skirting and floor the other.

I tend to ask the customer how they want it. If the customer isn't available I hang it level and charge extra to change it. Not my fault they live in Willy wonkas factory.

It gets fitted level, don't care what it looks like. If the cust gets new windows and cills a little bit down the road and then your rads off, they get visitors who turn round and say 'was your plumber half cut when he hung that?'

I'd also fit level too. I was told by an old school heating engineer that they had to be hung level to prevent magnetite blocking the valve entries!!

Always level. Nobody can moan about a job being carried out correctly.

fit it level, couldn't care about anything else being level the radiators are going to be.

If they asked me to change it i would do so as long as its the one.

Give one side of the bracket a good smash with a hammer and bolster chisel

if any of my rads look unlevel i just cut some off the customers shoe soles to even it out.

Thanks for the advice, I knew it was the right way to do things but sometimes it's hard not to get doubts on the job. I was always taught that a job is to be done properly and if someone else has not done theirs properly then that's not your fault.

I'll sleep easy now.

Like previous posts have said discuss with customer every job is different.its the customer that lives with your work and pays you.
I had one job old cottage pipes in level looked so bad some of the walls and floors were out by as much as 200mm with dips and bows so bent pipes to suit walls and looked so much better

yes sir, i got that 8 footer k2 rad bang on level, unfortunately your window and opening are 6'' out of square so you will need a brickie to come and sort that for you.
ÂŁ278 please.

OK if the shoe was on the other foot and I installed something un-even, then they had a window fitter or a bricky or a joiner in to do some work in and around that installation they would most probably slag my workman ship off and they wouldn't alter what they were doing to suit my un-even work. Fair do's if the window sill was massive, but as it happens the skirting board was dead level, so if I'd have gone to the window sill the board would have been out.

I always get them looking right. Doesn't matter how many times you put a level on it if it doesn't look right the customer won't be happy.

god ive love to know how many rads ive hung or how many fittings ive soldered

Hard to work that one out but I used to do Aboat 20 a week on new build and did it for 12 years that's a scary amount plus the rads in the last four years working for my self and the 9 years I did before new build.
I will let you work out how many fittings you have soldered Steve I am not even going to think about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to uneven window sills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back