Search the forum,

Discuss Undersized Vent For Baxi Bermuda 552 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nems1982

We have just moved into a rented property and during a visit from BG (leaky radiator) we were told that our vent is too small and because of that we are considered 'at risk'. We have informed the agent who in turn contacted the landlord. The landlord has refused to do anything because he believes it is not an issue. He has known about the vent for some time but does not consider it to be a risk. Can someone shed some light as we really want to get this sorted either way but don't really know what we are talking about.

Thanks

Naomi x

It might be an idea to furnish them with a copy of this

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg285.pdf

The scenario you describe is that the vent is undersized so there is a possibility of a lack of oxygen required for complete combustion and for effective operation of the open flue. This could result in the production of CO and/or the ability for the flue to carry the products of combustion out of the property. If this Landlord has known about this for sometime then he should have a copy of a warning notice advising him to correct it as soon as possible. Do you have a copy of the CP12 that should have been given to you within 28 days of moving in? If not then Id get on to the Managing agent as well as the Landlord.

Last edited:
We have just moved into a rented property and during a visit from BG (leaky radiator) we were told that our vent is too small and because of that we are considered 'at risk'. We have informed the agent who in turn contacted the landlord. The landlord has refused to do anything because he believes it is not an issue. He has known about the vent for some time but does not consider it to be a risk. Can someone shed some light as we really want to get this sorted either way but don't really know what we are talking about.

Thanks

Naomi x

as an incoming tenant you MUST be given a copy of the current safety certificate which is a mandatory check the landlord gets done every year, he has 28 days from the start of the tenancy to supply you with this, this will highlight any faults on the installation, and will be all the proof you need,
an installation deemed AT RISK is one that is potentially dangerous and could potentially kill you and your family, scaremongering or good sound proper technically correct advice, thats for each to choose, but i know if it was my property i would be demanding it is fixed NOW, this landlord just doesnt care, if he cant/wont provide paperwork it means one of 2 things, he doesnt get the check done, or he gets it done by a scummy gas engineer who simply writes on the paperwork whatever the landlord wants, ie a nice clean cert, either way you are in potential danger get it seen to NOW (PLEASE)
PS dont give us X's on here we get too excited

We have got the CP12 but nothing about the vent was mentioned. the guy did say that he thought a service was needed but when we mentioned this to the agent we were told that a service was done at the beginning of Oct.We have given a copy of the warning notice to the agent but now that the landlord wont do anything the letting agent is refusing to pursue it.

We have twin 5 year olds and a five month old baby. Are they safe? We believed that because the gas safety went well we would be ok.

Naomi
x

We have got the CP12 but nothing about the vent was mentioned. the guy did say that he thought a service was needed but when we mentioned this to the agent we were told that a service was done at the beginning of Oct.We have given a copy of the warning notice to the agent but now that the landlord wont do anything the letting agent is refusing to pursue it.

We have twin 5 year olds and a five month old baby. Are they safe? We believed that because the gas safety went well we would be ok.

Naomi
x

a baxi 552 back boiler and fire require a vent probably of 100cm2, you have a safety cert which mentions nothing about a vent problem, and a gas engineer who has said the vent isnt right so we cant tell which of the 2 gas engineers in question know what they are talking about, but one does and one doesnt, so it needs to be clarified, phone the firm who issued the cert and explain your fears, and ask if they could re-visit to check the vent, if they dont want to tell them you are genuinely concerned and will contact Gas safe to see if they will investigate on your behalf, if the firm are local enough and you are pleaant enough to start with they might consider popping rather than have a prohibition notice from Gas safe, however if they do visit and say "yes its fine" or whatever, quiz them on the vent, get him to show you the vent and ask them to countersign the cert you have confirming that the vent is adequate, if they are in the right and the vent is fine they will have no problem signing as it will reassure you that they are the experts and the gas board guy was wrong, if they wont sign then make up your mind whether to contact Gas Safe, i would honestly advise anyone to contact them, ok they get pelters from within the trade but this is their forte looking into reports of problems, keep pushing and demanding, it is your kids safety we are talking about, (if all is ok then apologies for the heavy tone of the post, but better you slag me for being victor meldrew than contemplating me being right and the potentially awful consequences, if the firm wont visit because they know they are right, and fair play to them for knowing, because if i checked it and said it was fine i wouldnt need to visit, and would have no problem with you contacting gas safe about my work cause they will visit and say he is right, then contact gas safe for a totally independant review of the situation,
PS i TOLD you stop giving us X's haha
PPS keep us posted

If you suspect that the installation is unsafe and you have been advised so in this case i would call Gas Safe on 0800 408 5500. The agent and the landlord have to act as the installation has been deemed to be at risk. Personally I would make as many enquiries about as possible.
It's your family, not the Landlords who is at risk.As Kirk has already said, It maybe that the BG guy has got it wrong but better be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Your Landlord is duty bound by Law to respond to the At Risk Notice otherwise he will be prosecuted. I think you should approach the Agents as others advise and inform them that you will contact the Local Authority is you are not satisfied

Spoke to agents and Landlord had apparently spoken to someone from BG who told him it wasn't a problem.....think landlord might be taking the p a bit. Told agent that I wasn't satisfied with landlords response as we hadn't seen paperwork and had been told by latest engineer it wasn't safe. Then called BG who spoke to engineer again and apparently this is the second time the landlord has been issued with the 'at risk' notice and the vent is too small. Spoke again to agent who said they would get back to me.......that was yesterday lunch-time I'm still waiting.

Thank you guys for the advice it was really really helpful and you def deserve the x!

Naomi
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Undersized Vent For Baxi Bermuda 552 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock