Search the forum,

Discuss Tristar 90 Locking out in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone. I have a Eurostar 90 that Ive maintaned for 10 years and I think a lot older. I serviced it few months ago. All was good. Then about 4 weeks ago it locked out so cleaned filter at tank and filter in pump. (pump filter was clean). It randomly locked out sometimes hour sometimes a day. I placed old pump that works fine in burner and changed nozzle. Locks out randomly still. Turned up pressure on old pump made slight difference but locked out after day or so. Changed to newer pump havent touched pump pressure on this one. Locks out whenever it wants. What I have noticed with both pumps is fan kicks in lights up and maybe after few minutes you can hear the ignition part cease but fan still blowing. Then you get a small ignition again in same fan cycle. It has to be fuel starvation. The teeth and collar that drive pump are ok and fan freely spins. Ive disconnected line to tank both ends and fuel flows freely. Even purged pump fuel flows freely. Im at a loss and dont want to buy anything it doesnt need. Theres only a few working parts on it. Its in generally good condition. Any advice would be appreciated.

First and foremost you need a pressure gauge, smoke pump and glue gas analyser when adjusting the things you mention. Without those there’s no possible way of telling what state the combustion process is in. You say you put a new pump on but didn’t check/adjust pressure. Most pumps leave the factory at 10 bar but this still needs checking and adjusting accordingly. For all we know that new pump is set to 7 bar which in the weather we’re experiencing will not atomise the fuel for reliable combustion.
You said oil runs freely either end. How much did you let flow into a container? Usually I would run a few litres off.
This could be fuel related but it could be something else. The fact that by your own admission you didn’t check or adjust the new pump pressure and adjust air intake accordingly means you could have several issues now.

Needs to be running right before any fault finding.
You got all the gear?

Set oil pressure, check combustion, adjust air to suit and away you go.

Needs to be running right before any fault finding.
You got all the gear?

Set oil pressure, check combustion, adjust air to suit and away you go.
I get the impression they don’t have the gear. No disrespect to the OP, they clearly have an understanding but anyone can whip a burner out and replace a nozzle and a pump. I could guide my 74 year old mother to do that but only someone with the gear can set the burner up and leave it running efficiently and most importantly safely. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s now sooting up as well and we both know what that will do.

First and foremost you need a pressure gauge, smoke pump and glue gas analyser when adjusting the things you mention. Without those there’s no possible way of telling what state the combustion process is in. You say you put a new pump on but didn’t check/adjust pressure. Most pumps leave the factory at 10 bar but this still needs checking and adjusting accordingly. For all we know that new pump is set to 7 bar which in the weather we’re experiencing will not atomise the fuel for reliable combustion.
You said oil runs freely either end. How much did you let flow into a container? Usually I would run a few litres off.
This could be fuel related but it could be something else. The fact that by your own admission you didn’t check or adjust the new pump pressure and adjust air intake accordingly means you could have several issues now.
I agree. I think I need to get someone in that can test pressure and the gas burning. I may just pump off 2 litres of oil first. That seems a good shout

I agree. I think I need to get someone in that can test pressure and the gas burning. I may just pump off 2 litres of oil first. That seems a good shout

Depending on the length of run from oil tank I would run 3 or 4 litres of into a container. If this amount flows freely and consistently then I would be pretty happy the delivery is ok. If not I would check tank strainer and any downstream filters and valves. A vacuum gauge is useful in these situations.
It might not be fuel related though despite your initial observations. There’s a number of components on a pressure jet burner that can cause lockouts but without be there it’s hard to say. A mythological and systematic approach from tank inwards is needed, unless highly experienced you’re rarely going to arrive at the job already knowing the culprit.

Depending on the length of run from oil tank I would run 3 or 4 litres of into a container. If this amount flows freely and consistently then I would be pretty happy the delivery is ok. If not I would check tank strainer and any downstream filters and valves. A vacuum gauge is useful in these situations.
It might not be fuel related though despite your initial observations. There’s a number of components on a pressure jet burner that can cause lockouts but without be there it’s hard to say. A mythological and systematic approach from tank inwards is needed, unless highly experienced you’re rarely going to arrive at the job already knowing the culprit.
Ok will do 3 or 4 litres. The strainer is clean on tank even checked the tap the shuts off supply when cleaning strainer and also took off and cleaned inspection pipe that goes up vertically to show how much fuel is in tank and cleaned the valve that holds that by flushing it . If it delivers 4 litres of fuel via pump on boiler Im lost. Im sure it doesnt have a valve thatr
Ok will do 3 or 4 litres. The strainer is clean on tank even checked the tap the shuts off supply when cleaning strainer and also took off and cleaned inspection pipe that goes up vertically to show how much fuel is in tank and cleaned the valve that holds that by flushing it . If it delivers 4 litres of fuel via pump on boiler Im lost. I dont have a pressure gauge to test pressure or quality of the burn so will need someone in I reckon.

If fuel delivery is ok then one would move inwards. There’s a number of components like I say that would cause a lockout but you need specific equipment to test, some of which you may have. The problem with intermittent faults is they rarely reveal themselves when an engineer turns up and five minutes after they leave it goes to lockout.
If you could catch a video of the burner with sound stopping and going to lockout I might be able to give you a better idea. Ultimately though you’re more than likely going to need an engineer.

Reply to Tristar 90 Locking out in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not been serviced in a long time and oil filters were bunged up as was the nozzle. I decided to service it with hopes it was simple starving of fuel from...
Replies
Views
Hi guys and girls, the fan on my Heatslave 20/25 doesn't start, I've had look and cleaned fuel filters etc and everything that should be clean is clean, fan blades have been cleaned and it moves freely by hand. When I try the boiler I can only hear the ignition clicks. I'm thinking I will need...
Replies
Views
Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out on Friday after a long period of faultless running, there was a bit of gunk on the back of the (newish) nozzle (Danfoss Nozzle 0.65 x 80 EH) ...
Replies
Views
S
Having a few issues with my combi boiler, its 14 years old now and due to be replaced as we are building extension, but need to get another 10 months out of the combi yet! Was having pressure and lockout issues and the relief vale had activated couple times, expansion tank is fuel of water so I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock