Discuss Tools in vans - security? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

Just wondering what other people do regarding security for tools in your van.

I've just picked up a second hand Caddy. It's already ply lined but that's it - an empty box for me to make my own.

I've been wondering about a van vault for power tools but having stuck the size of one on the floor with masking tape (the only place it would seem to fit is against the wheel arch box), I'm not sure if even the smaller 'mobi' looks like it'll take up a lot of space. Or should use one anyway and work around it?...

Does anyone else use a van vault or do you use something else for tool security (or nothing)?

Any input appreciated :)

I have racking and drawers down one side (home made from ply) for fittings, spares and the like, I keep my battery drill and old sds on the van, and the rest only goes on as and when required.

Thanks Bod and Roger - as I thought, I think I'm probably being over the top with the van vault for day use.

cheers

Matt, please don't put one of those signs on your van, saying no tools are stored overnight etc, this is an invitation to every scum bag around to break in and have a look!

Keep the expensive stuff indoors and load up every morning.

Matt, please don't put one of those signs on your van, saying no tools are stored overnight etc, this is an invitation to every scum bag around to break in and have a look!

Keep the expensive stuff indoors and load up every morning.

I've always thought those signs mean "I'm carrying a load of powertools and can't be bothered unloading them" :D

As you say, I'll lock the good stuff away overnight.

cheers

I have racking and drawers down one side (home made from ply) for fittings, spares and the like, I keep my battery drill and old sds on the van, and the rest only goes on as and when required.

I have similar and just load what I need tool wise

To be honest it would probably annoy me more having to repair damage to the van than the loss of anything on board.

Though I have left the side loading door wide open overnight and all was still there in the morning, not sure I would do it on purpose though.

The problem I find with just loading with what I think I'll need is that when I get there, I wish I had loaded such and such a tool!

I used to pick and choose what tools to take, then every time I didn't take it, yeah you guessed it I needed it!

The only fitting that I need is the one I havent got.

I am lucky I stick my van in the garage every night, never used to but 3 got broken into in one night on my road!

like every one else says, unfortunatly, you take a tool out of your van, that hasnt been touched for a month then the next day you find you need it. I have taken my lock off my van completly, partially coz it was busted when i bought the van...(some one had already busted into it), and put a metal plate over it, then used a KOSP lock. its pretty safe as there is nothing really to cut open, and if some one was to try prising it off, it would make a bit of noise, so hopefully that would draw attention.

get some dead locks and an alarm, not much else you can do unless you have a box fitted or you could go the whole hog and have the back caged but its costly.

dancinplumba,
unfortunatly it doesnt matter, if some tramp is going to steal from you, it doesnt matter what you have to secure your van, they will find a way to break in :(. people follow people and watch where they park the vans then wait for you to forget one night. little no goods for nothing!

i go out many a time an leave house open, once left key in door, went out, thought had lost keys when i came home broke window to get in and opened door from inside and saw keys in door outside lol

steal one of them fake dogs that stand outside shops and collect money for the blind......put it in your van......when the theif breaks in and is confronted by a big dog staring him in the face he just might wake up the street when he screams!!!!:willy_nilly:

Booo. Didn't get to read it before it was deleted.

I got a visit on site today. Two blokes in a truck, asking after any scrap metal I might have. My mate left the gates to the drive open, and they drove the 300 meters down the drive to have a snoop down at my van and around the skip. So brazen. In broad daylight. When I come out, they just ask if I have any scrap metal.

They'll probably break in tonight and clear me out of tools left on site. Happened before and I don't doubt it will happen again. They should be shot.

You should have said 'yeah there's an iron bar in there if you fancy it wrapped round your head'

This thread - and the others like it - has had me waking up in the middle of the night as every sound sounds like the forcing of metal doors.

I was done just after Christmas there. ÂŁ2.5k of power tools & ICE.
They took no hand tools or materials but all my good stuff. I had the additional locks that I was gonna fit on my Mk6 transit, but never did & had been sitting on one of the shelves of the Mk7 transit but never in a million years did I think they'd be able to get into a Mk7.
I now have the locks fitted to side & back doors, a cobra 3868 fitted, CCTV inside the vehicle, a CCTV camera on the van when parked on my drive, large CCTV stickers around van & on my front window of the house, a 3' metal baseball bat & a 16" knife on the back of my front door of the house.
I'd like to see them try it again!

Oh, and to answer the original question, all my tools are racked on shelves the length of my jumbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a clever idea.... That's an easy way for the little scrotes trying to break into your van to be the ones laughing as you get prosecuted.
It's hard to justify reasonable force if you're waving a 16" knife around too :)

Now, a good old fashioned kicking, that's easy to justify just by saying you felt "threatened" and feared for your welfare by their actions...

Get yourself two really huge Alsations, one for daytime and the other for nighttime, to be left in the back of the vehicle (with good air and water supplies of course) at all times. And, of course, cost of dogs, vets, food, walking etc can be charged to annual taxes because of use for security purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he did brandish the knife and hurt a tool thief........well I personally wouldn't lose a moments sleep. They are scum, and if he want to keep a bat and a knife to protect his possessions, then I say fair enough. I won't be hurt by his bat or knife as I won't go breaking into his van in the dead of night. I prefer to earn my money the honest way.

The law is too strict on people who fight to protect their possessions and loved ones.

He probably would get nicked for it. But it's the theives who should be getting locked up....and for long enough to deter them.

If he did brandish the knife and hurt a tool thief........well I personally wouldn't lose a moments sleep. They are scum, and if he want to keep a bat and a knife to protect his possessions, then I say fair enough. I won't be hurt by his bat or knife as I won't go breaking into his van in the dead of night. I prefer to earn my money the honest way.

The law is too strict on people who fight to protect their possessions and loved ones.

He probably would get nicked for it. But it's the theives who should be getting locked up....and for long enough to deter them.

make sure you keep a ball with that baseball bat, makes it easier to justify. haha

Has anyone seen the toms tips for the back of his van

It's quite racist. And bit close to the bone but

He's showing and talking about his tools. Then says why he puts them there

You have to watch it. It's very funny

Old Macdonald had a gun ee, aye, ee, aye, oh
Went oot and shot some scum for fun ee, aye, ee, aye, oh
With a bang bang here and a bang bang there,
The scumbags soon they were nae mare,
ee, aye, ee, aye, oh

The System3 entry for Eurovision 2012

That farmer had been broken into about 5 times. He should never have been put in prision.

I lived on a farm for five years....and we had four break ins on the farm. Trailers, quads ect. I salute those who have the guts to confront these people. It takes a lot more guts than I have.

rottwieller usually works

ive got some family living in ireland and the travellers over there are drugging the guard dogs in places so they can rob whatever they want. its not that hard to do. crush thr right type of pill up and mash it into a bit of meat and your rottwieller is catching z's. but atleast dogs will ward off the thieves you wouldnt consider ''professionals''

My Huskies hear everything but they don't make a sound. There great dogs but terrible for security.
I do keep a ball with my bat & the knife is my old wallpaper knife. The police have been in my home when not long after my van got done, I had an attempted break in on my house (other houses were hit that night), and the police seen what I have behind my door. He said, & I quote "I'm happy to turn a blind eye"
My family comes first & I'll do what I can to protect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

I've got a van vault for all my power tools which is bolted to floor, plyracking for my fittings and an armourshell on the back doors and a CCTV camera looking down onto my drive. I live in a street where the neighbours are pretty "helpful" (i.e. they know each others business before its happened!) so Ive not had any problems so far. Although with my van slowly turning into a convertable I may not be able to keep stuff on my racking soon!

More for space saving than security, I have fitted a 6" deep false floor to my Dispatch using 18" ply for sliding under fittings and drill boxes etc. The only access to all these under floor compartments is to open both back doors and both sliding side doors. Also at night an opportunist thief wanting a quick "in/out" may even miss its there at all. I have lost a little height but never found it to be a problem.

More for space saving than security, I have fitted a 6" deep false floor to my Dispatch using 18" ply for sliding under fittings and drill boxes etc. The only access to all these under floor compartments is to open both back doors and both sliding side doors. Also at night an opportunist thief wanting a quick "in/out" may even miss its there at all. I have lost a little height but never found it to be a problem.

Just in case I'm caught short for a drill or something when I'm in the Richmond area, what's the registration of your van?

Ha, You would do better looking in Leicester as that's where I work :wink_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tools in vans - security? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock